Question Bilstein shocks

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Well i got my new shocks Bilstein's and the way i understand they go in upside down from all others is this correct that meaning the rubber boot goes to the axle's.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do I mount the shocks with the boot pointing up or down?

With the internal design of the Bilstein monotube gas shocks, it does not matter whether the shocks are mounted with the shock rod side up or down. There are some minor advantages in longetivity and overall suspension effectiveness with the shock rod pointed down, and there are many instances where Bilstein has changed the orientation to take advantage of these minor improvements where there are no clearance problems. If there is an option, we recommend mounting the shock with the shock rod and boot pointing down, but in the grand scheme of things, there is no noticeable difference.

From Bilstein directly

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
Bilsteins aren't all the same, they should be installed so you can read the stickers or labels on them. My 5100's have the boots up, but my work truck which has Bilstein HD's, are boot down.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilsteins aren't all the same, they should be installed so you can read the stickers or labels on them. My 5100's have the boots up, but my work truck which has Bilstein HD's, are boot down.

X2 ;tu

dieseldork

dieseldork
Reaction score
because of the gas charge, it keeps an air pocket from forming and creating a dead spot if run upside down...

binuya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On my 2001, boots down in front, boots up in rear. Can't remember model number, but they're the yellow Bilsteins with the blue botots.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58