Bio diesel first run

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am running my first 8 gallons in my 2000 excursion. I am now getting the "water in fuel" warning light. Has anyone had this experience or do I just have water in the fuel. I drained the bowl and the light didnt come back on the rest of the night. But now this morning I am getting the light again. Any insight?????

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that if your WIF light came on that you are running unwashed fuel. Only use washed fuel in your PSD. Draining your bowl should turn off your light for a few hundred miles, but it will keep coming back on. It is the residual chemicals in your unwashed fuel that is causing this.

Houndog

Kelly Hancock

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
THanks houndog. Our first batch was washed for two days and the water changed three times. We alsl bubled for a couple of days. We were not trying to hurry our first batch at all. THe guy that processes with me, I being the oil chaser, he being the processor, bubbled up through the water and then after the second day put the bubbler up into the bio level and bubbled another few days. My 8 gallons I got from first batch sat in my garage for about 6 days before I could put it in. I noticed a white layer below the bio and asked what that was. A well versed guy that has been making bio for three years now said that was a stearic acid layer from the process but would not be a problem. Hum? Maybe it was. How can I remedy that or can I make it better once I get it to my place? Can I filter it somehow to remove any water as I put it in?

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont use anything that has settled below your bio-d line. You only want to use the clean clear fuel on top. Dont agitate or shake your drums, and try to pump your fuel into your tank via a good filter.

Only bubble wash GENTLY for a short time, then drain the water off. You can actually make your bio-d useless by bubbling TOO MUCH for TOO LONG. It creates an emulsion.

Dont know why the guy is bubbling JUST the bio-d. I dont see the point.

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Kelly -
People I know, wash their BD about 5-6 times. The first 2 are usually gentle mist washes and the last 4 are bubble washes, with the bubbles coming up from the bottom of the tank, where the "wash water" is. Drain off and discard the water between each wash. Then the BD has to be dried. Is your friend drying your fuel also?
Take a clear glass jar and dip it full of fuel. You should be looking at something along the lines of perfect apple juice. Not that muddy looking all natural kind from Whole Foods - the stuff from frozen concentrate.;) Any haze means water, and ya'll may need to heat and spray dry the fuel, especially now that fall is here and winter is coming.

Houndog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14