Help Needed Biodiesel blew 3 injectors

norpoint

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anyone see any issues or have any thought here?
2004 with 20,000 miles using B-99 from a respected station that sells large quanities. I ran the engine the first 5,000 miles with normal diesel before I swiched to B-99 and B-80 in the winter months. Every tank I add bibor to control growth, etc.

They had replaced the Fuel injector control module under a recall. I had the dealer change the oil every 5,000 miles using Ford Motorcraft fuel filters. Recently it idles very rough when started and when it reaches temp it goes away. But if you try to drive before it reaches temp you can put the peddle to the floor and nothing. In nuetral it will rev but very rough. Over 2 days it kept getting worse until when I went to drive it to the shop (Go figure), won't start!!

Dealer claims it was the bio and had to replace 3 injectors and fuel filter $2,000???

Last edited:

rsjohnsn

Full Access Member
Reaction score

atk

Reaction score
Anyone see any issues or have any thought here?
2004 with 20,000 miles using B-99 from a respected station that sells large quanities. I ran the engine the first 5,000 miles with normal diesel before I swiched to B-99 and B-80 in the winter months. Every tank I add bibor to control growth, etc.

They had replaced the Fuel injector control module under a recall. I had the dealer change the oil every 5,000 miles using Ford Motorcraft fuel filters. Recently it idles very rough when started and when it reaches temp it goes away. But if you try to drive before it reaches temp you can put the peddle to the floor and nothing. In nuetral it will rev but very rough. Over 2 days it kept getting worse until when I went to drive it to the shop (Go figure), won't start!!

Dealer claims it was the bio and had to replace 3 injectors and fuel filter $2,000???

been using anywhere from B5 to B20 with no issues at all. i know this isn`t
B99, but Ford only recommends no more then B5, but you may know this already... i`m not sure that running this fuel, would damage the injectors, considering people have had injector trouble with ULSD....

norpoint

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Filter

I am starting to wonder if the acidic B-99 didn't eat through the fuel filter and deposit the pieces in the engine? I am going to call the dealer and see if they have taken it off yet and ask to get it back to look at.

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It may be possible the B99 wont flow as good as a leaner mix.
If You lose fuel pressure the injectors will go quick.
This is why the ford tech that services mine said to change the filter at a max of 15,000 miles.
Just a thought maby the bio wont pump as well as ulsd to get the pressure needed?
Dont really know.

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno It may be possible the B99 wont flow as good as a leaner mix.
If You lose fuel pressure the injectors will go quick.
This is why the ford tech that services mine said to change the filter at a max of 15,000 miles.
Just a thought maby the bio wont pump as well as ulsd to get the pressure needed?
Dont really know.:dunno

Paul H

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The rough idle till warm and no power is common, my 04 does that and never had bio in it. It is due to the surface tention of the oil in the very tight tollerance spool valves on the injectors. once the oil warms up the spool valve can move freely.

As to the bio, there have been a couple of nation wide samplings done of distributed bio fuel and found that b5 or b20 or b80 most the time is no where close to what it is suppose to be. B20 could be B40 something, and B 99 could be all over the board.

Quality standards for bio diesel are not being met across most of the big name distributors.

firesoutmatt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
They (the dealer) used bio as an excuse so they could make you pay for it. You don't have much recourse since they only recommend B5 or less . Thats why they do that .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58