Biodiesel: Ford's response to my ??

SUPERDUTYSPV

Ford Fan
Reaction score
I recently wrote Ford and asked them about using Biodiesel in my 04 6.0 PSD, and this is the response I received today: ( I hope you guys find it useful!)

Thank you for contacting the Ford Motor Company Customer Relationship Center regarding the use of biodiesel fuel.

Fuels containing no more than 5% biodiesel may be used in Ford diesel powered vehicles.
There are still some unresolved technical concerns with the use of biodiesel at concentration greater than 5%. Some of the concerns are as follows:

- Special care is required at low temperatures to avoid an excessive rise in viscosity and loss of fluidity
- Storage is a problem due to higher then normal risk of microbial contamination due to water absorption, as well as a higher rate of oxidation stability which creates insoluble gums and sediment deposits
- As it is hygroscopic, the fuel tends to have increased water content, which increases the risk of corrosion
- Biodiesel tends to cause higher engine deposit formations
- The methyl esters in biodiesel fuel may attack the seals and composite materials used in vehicle fuel systems
- It may attack certain metals such as zinc, copper based alloys, cast iron, tin, lead, cobalt, and manganese
- It is an effective solvent, and can act as a paint stripper
- It tends to loosen deposits in the bottom of fuel tanks of vehicles previously run on mineral diesel.

Should you require additional information about this matter, please contact the service department at your local Ford dealership. To locate a Ford or Lincoln-Mercury dealership, please visit www.genuineflmservice.com.

We consider the satisfaction of our customers one of our most important objectives. If you have any other inquiries or concerns, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to address them for you.

Sincerely,
Maisha
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Well, thats the info that I think you were looking for when you posed the question down in the alternative fuels forum. If I understood your question down there correctly, you werent really asking if the 6.0 could run on B-100, but rather what was Fords position on bio fuels.

Would you cross post this info into that thread?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Seems to be the type of answer list I'd expect back from the manufacturer :D

Thanks for making contact with Ford there SUPERDUTYSPV :sweet

SUPERDUTYSPV

Ford Fan
Reaction score
I wrote and asked them if I COULD run biodiesel in my truck. I was curious, and wanted an official answer. THAT is their response to my question. I really wanted to know IF I COULD run biodiesel in my truck. I don't want to kill it or void the warrantee.
Welcome CHPMustang.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Did this include peanut oil?
I ran filered peanut oil very often in my 7.3 and it really was a noticable difference and it smelled like a big fat turkey :p

I have been afraid to run it in the 6.0
any thoughts
SUPERDUTYSPV said:
I wrote and asked them if I COULD run biodiesel in my truck. I was curious, and wanted an official answer. THAT is their response to my question. I really wanted to know IF I COULD run biodiesel in my truck. I don't want to kill it or void the warrantee.
Welcome CHPMustang.

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
With the manufactures cautions, it just seems like there are no free ride out there for us. This is some good information. Thanks for sharing it.
Jim

Houndog

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Superdty -

I'm glad you took the time to write to Ford. I doubt you were expecting any other answer than what you received - 5% is all they'll allow.

I can't tell from your writings if you want to use BD or if you're just curious what Ford would say. Are you making it? Do you want to make it? Do you just know where to buy it and want to try it. The one bullet point that is VERY true is the one about being a paint stripper and solvent - of course that's also why my fuel system is probably sparkling inside.

If it were me and I owned a 6.0 like yourself, I would be running B100. The prerequisites would be that I made my own fuel so I would know the quality. I would not buy and use commercial BD at all. I would be willing to throw my warranty out the window if it came down to that. I would have been making my own for quite some time and know when I was realistically ready to jump into the bigtime. I consider using homebrew in a $50,000 truck big time. I truly believe (and I bet Ford does too behind closed doors) that HIGH QUALITY BIODIESEL will not hurt ANY diesel engine.

Just for the record - I have been so confident in my fuel decisions over the last few years that when my truck needed to go in for service at my local dealer, it went in full of B100. Even the last time 4 months ago when I was out of town and had to drive home 200 miles limping into the dealer with 1/2 tank of B100, they could have easily said it was bad fuel causing injector failure. They told the truth which was the infamous injector harness under the valve cover upgrade. Alot of the warranty issues are just handled at the local level. My dealer knows my truck well and have fixed many things - not one of which was anything ever fuel system related. As a matter of fact, they love to have my truck come to visit. It is the talk of the service department when it's there. Yes, I know, mine is a 7.3 - I'm just giving you my personal opinion.

Using BD has risks - Only you will know where and when , or if ever, you care to walk the plank. It has been good for me.
If you're just starting to make it, please don't use your 6.0 as your test bed.

Houndog

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
So I take it that you brew your own Houndog. How long have you been doing it? I may consider it soon. Any tips?

SUPERDUTYSPV

Ford Fan
Reaction score
I am NOT currently planning on making myself. But, with all this talk about it, I was curious about it, and about the possibilties of running it in MY truck. AND there IS a 1 place that I know of, where I live, that has it. So, just for S&G, I thought I would write Ford. I can not afford to ruin my engine. I am not going to be using Biodiesel any time soon.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58