Biodiesel in an 08 6.4???

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anybody try running straight bio in our 08 6.4L??? Im guessing the DPF would have to bypassed somehow??? Any thoughts?

My motivation is ever since I bought the thing my monthly fuel bill is upwards of $1800.

addicted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holly Smokes!!! You must be putting around 10K miles a month on that thing. If you ran b100 (I'm dealing with the problem right now in my 97), I'm sure something small would eventually start to leak. But you would be ok for a long time I'm sure until you replaced it with viton. We get biodiesel here for just under $2 a gallon so it definetly makes sense. The stuff here is some strong stuff though and It hate through my line pretty quick. I would be more worried about your warranty than anything. Just make sure if you brake down you drain the tank :). We run it in my wifes 06 jetta and it does just fine so far. :dunno

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Ford specifies nothing over B5 can be ran in the 6.4.

If you have a warranty issue and they determine that something more than B5 was used, they can void your warranty for any fuel related issues aka injectors.

The engine just isn't rated for anything more than B5.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
None of Ford's light truck engines are rated for more than B5. I don't know of anyone who will stand behind their engines for more than B5.

Dave

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Didn't Dodge just up their rating to B20? I thought I read that somewhere.

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I know guys with Dodge Cummins running on pure vegi oil and 100%bio, yet they aren't rated for that. I dont care about the warranty, just wondering how it might be done safely on these new 6.4's. Namely, if the DPF, regeneration cycle, EGR cooler and new injectors were going to be an issue.

Could I remove the DPF, thereby never have it going into regen??? Also, would 100% bio be OK pushing through the piezo injectors???

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I should elaborate, I tow for a living. Right now Im spending more than $2,000 a month on fuel alone and Ill be out of my factory powertrain warranty in less than a year. If I could make bio for around $2.00 a gallon (buying the oil pre-prepped from a local renderer), it would save me upwards of $800 a month!!!

So, needless to say, Im motivated.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I know guys with Dodge Cummins running on pure vegi oil and 100%bio, yet they aren't rated for that. I dont care about the warranty, just wondering how it might be done safely on these new 6.4's. Namely, if the DPF, regeneration cycle, EGR cooler and new injectors were going to be an issue.

Could I remove the DPF, thereby never have it going into regen??? Also, would 100% bio be OK pushing through the piezo injectors???

You will probably start to have issues with quite a few things.

There is no telling what will happen when running B100.

The injectors will be the issue, more then likely they will fail at some point, at what point that might be is hard to say since I haven't' heard of anyone running ALOT of miles on B100 on a 6.4 yet.

It would be VERY risky.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
I should elaborate, I tow for a living. Right now Im spending more than $2,000 a month on fuel alone and Ill be out of my factory powertrain warranty in less than a year. If I could make bio for around $2.00 a gallon (buying the oil pre-prepped from a local renderer), it would save me upwards of $800 a month!!!

So, needless to say, Im motivated.

Yes, but motivated at what cost?

Either Pay now or Pay later.

It is very likley the injectors will fail way before they should.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
None of Ford's light truck engines are rated for more than B5. I don't know of anyone who will stand behind their engines for more than B5.

Dave

Cummins has approved B20 in all their engines. New Holland has approved B20 with 55% of their equipment being B100 compatible.

The B5 rating is because OEM's have no control over bio. One person makes it out of soy another canola, another animal fat. The different feed stocks all make slightly different fuel...cloud point, pour point cetane etc. Also the factory fuel systems don't have the filtration capacity needed for B100. We need large heated filters.

The new HPCR injection systems have VERY tight tolerances. You would need to have a BQ9000 certified producer that produces quality fuel. Filter to 2 microns and heat your bio, higher viscosity and dirty fuel will kill the HPCR systems. With the system running over 20,000psi imagine what a small piece of debris do to poor filtration can erode in the system. The Siemens injectors are also questionable with bio, if I could explain how they work by typing I would but I can't. I got to see some inside info from Siemens last week while at Stanadyne school and it's pretty cool. Let's just say thicker dirty fuel is VERY bad.

As far as the DPF....biodiesel produces less particulate matter than #2ULSD. Some studies show that more NOx is produced but not by much.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58