biodiesel vs wvo for 7.3

Bigford0707

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Im wanting to run either biodiesel or wvo in my powerstroke, the wvo kit for the truck runs around 2300 us dollars, but i heard the direct inject engines do not run good wvo because the viscosity is to thick for the injectors! Does anyone run a two tank wvo setup in there truck? and if they recommend it? I guess i would not mind doing biodiesel, just the kit is about a 1000 dollars more. Well just gathering some input from my fellow powerstrokers out there.

dpantazis

Reaction score
whoever 'told' you WVO was too thick is very much mistaken. many run WVO in the 7.3.
browse the forum here and you will see its done, and done well.

because of the way the fuel passages are on the 7.3's, the oil gets extra hot flowing through the heads being surrounded by coolant passages, oil passages and the fuel filter bowl sitting in the valley. there are some who would even say that the 7.3's are the best motors to run SVO/WVO on.

define kit. $2300 seems awefully expensive for a WVO kit. what all does it come with?

Bigford0707

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
wvo

thanks for the info i seen a kit on grease car website for 2300 dollars
kit comes with extra tank, all solenoids everything you need. Thats good info though im going to look in too other kits.

jestersv

7.3 addict
Reaction score
sounds like you just need to do some more reading and it will all become clear. as you educate yourself to the pros and cons of both. each have good points and bad, educate yourself then make decision.And don't count out DYI for either project. my biodiesel processor cost me less than 500.US to build. look up appleseed processor lots of info out there.

binuya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Modify the oil? Or modify your truck. As mentioned, both have their sets of pros and cons. The biggest deciding factor would be driving habits. If most of your trips are less than 20 miles, then go biodiesel. WVO works best if you're at full operating temperature. So to get your WVO up to the necessary 150F minimum temp, we're talking at least 5-6 miles of highway driving before switching the valve over to WVO. Then of course there's the shutdown period to purge system with diesel. Many of the 'WVO horror' stories you hear about have to do with running improper temperatures. Cold WVO will not spray, or atomize properly and that's when you get incomplete combustion, coked rings, glazed cylinder walls, and diluted crankcase oil.

Most of my trips are less than 20 miles so biodiesel is my choice. But consider that your equipment will occupy about 1/2 car length of space, and that this is a pretty involved hobby. I love making it and have a pretty good system for it making 50-100 gal/month.

Lastly, make sure you have secured your wvo source before you commit to anything, either way. Without it, you're dead in the water.

Bigford0707

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i found a bar& grille that i should have no problem getting oil from (ma and pa joint) they have to pay to have some one take it. Thanks for the info im looking into the biodiesel area pretty hard, after all i am a chemical operator for pfizer so making the stuff should be a snap. Its good to see what people are running in these trucks,

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
most WVO setups have a set of aux heater lines that circulate coolant through the tank to keep the grease heated.

A member here, goes by the handle of 'hheynow' has run this setup for years, and is the dude to talk to about it.

I think I'd almost do veggie, myself. At the very least, should your feedstock source run dry, you can use the aux tank as an aux fuel tank.

With bio, if you loose your feedstock source, you have an investment in equipment just sitting there...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58