Black Smoke again

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it happened gain today. While coming up I55 NB merging onto I20 in Jackson MS, it started blowing black smoke again and had reduced power. Thwere no codes on the SC II but the LOD showed only about 20 and my BST was -0.5 I pulled over to the shoulder, killed the engine, started it back and had no more problems. Pulled out traffic and went on up the road. The SGII never showed a BST reading nor a reading for Water temp.

It seems to me that this is a computer problem as it seems to reset when I kill it and then works ok until it decides to do it again. I cleaned the sooted up and stuck EGR valve last week as it was nasty. The EGR cooler and the oil cooler were replaced last fall with a turbo cleaning and anti-siezing lubrication. FICM was rebuilt by ED.

Again there are no codes showing on the SG II. Can the computer be reflashed to maybe help?

Any ideas?

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I think I agree with your Computer diagnosis. Restarting the truck is re-booting the ECM and problem goes away. I don't know if the SG II will show all codes for the truck. :dunno You might consider getting it scanned by a good shop and see what comes up.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58