Black Smoke, EGR & More - HELP!

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently purchased an '04 250 with 108000 on it. It's been running very well for the 6 weeks I've had it until this weekend. Severe lack of power on takeoff - TONS of black smoke pouring out the exhaust. All gauges run fine, no idiot lights come on. I read another thread in this forum(http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/6-0l-powerstroke-engine-drivetrain/12027-power-problem.html) and it sounded much like my problem, so I unplugged the EGR and there was no change. Took it to my local dealer yesterday - they called back and told me today it needs a new EGR valve, new EGR Cooler, new Oil Cooler, and a new intake manifold because all are clogged. The cost was just under 3000. The aftermarket warranty I bought is trying to deny the claim. Any thoughts on a remedy would be helpful considering this is my 1st Ford and 1st diesel, I'm sort of flying blind. Does the diagnosis sound feasible? They listed parts costs as 332.96, 488.17, 702.45, and 436.52 in the order I have listed above. If the aftermarket P.O.S. warranty company denies the claim, is it a do it yourself sort of job? What are your ideas on non-dealer parts? Again, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and wisdom!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
First let me say "Welcome to Super Duty Diesel", and then let me say that you can replace the parts your self. I would not replace the intake manifold, but clean it. The EGR Cooler will have to be replaced. You can clean the EGR it self. I don't know why the oil cooler needs to be changed. THis sounds like a typical Ford repair, just keep changing parts until something fixes your problem. Ford NEEDS to teach their techs some other way to FIX trucks.

Dave

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks - I don't understand why the oil cooler needs to be changed either - from what I can understand, it's not a part of the system that's causing me problems. I've already found a couple nice links to EGR cleaning procedures on your site, and the EGR cooler seems relatively straightforward, but how would I go about cleaning the intake manifold? Does it need to be totally removed? If so, it would almost seem like a good idea to replace the thing if I'm gonna go thru all that work. Thanks and I look forward to more advice - I hope I can help you guys out someday myself!

charger73fan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about doing oil cooler, intake, egr valve, and egr cooler myself. Any good websites for cheap parts? Thanks...

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
THis sounds like a typical Ford repair, just keep changing parts until something fixes your problem. Ford NEEDS to teach their techs some other way to FIX trucks.

Most Mechanics at dealerships aren't Fixers, they're replacers. They don't have to pay for it, so it's easier for them to just replace it. Not everyone is, but some. This is just my experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14