Blackstone Report.........

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Hope this iron reading is just anomoly. They told me not to be concerned until they had tested a second sample.

I am suprised I didn't have a fuel in the oil problem. 205k and injector orings are OEM.........valve covers have never been off.

Tbar

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Glad to here everything is still good and no fuel in the oil, hopefully the iron is just an anomoly!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youve been changing the oil on a regular basis ??? 3 or 5 k ???
i think id be sending in the next few samples w/ OUT missing...might
be worth drawling off & sampling some in between oil changes.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
youve been changing the oil on a regular basis ??? 3 or 5 k ???
i think id be sending in the next few samples w/ OUT missing...might
be worth drawling off & sampling some in between oil changes.

Oil has been changed every 5k. I will definitely be sending in the next sample.

Tbar

LA350

Diesel Newbie
Reaction score
I wouldn't be really too concerned. You had no insolubles (soot/nitration would show up here on a patch/blotter test) and you have no other associated wear metals. Now if you had Fe/ Cr, or Cu/Pb/Fe, or Fe/Si, or Fe/Ni/Cu elements going up together then I would be worried.

Is Fe alone worthy of a resample? Yes, but only when it is due. I wouldn't rush a sample off because of the increase, as it could be an anomoly. For 200K that is a pretty good report.

Your B is on the high side too, but no Na reported. Water and coolant is low as well. B and Na are flags for e.glycol but with no water or coolant then it is probably an outside contaminate. Unless, you had to top off w/ an off brand oil as opposed to your normal oil. Your data says no oil added so it has to be an odd spike.

If the truck sat for a bit then was ridden hard that could be where the excessive Fe came from (oxidation). If it is a daily driver then who knows? It could have occured @ the lab (things happen-not trying to diss Blackstone).

It could be a sampling error. Was the sample taken cold? Cold sampling will cause a elemental increase. If you have a sample valve installed, did you allow for a purge before taking the sample? Clean sampling components? Twirling your fingers inside of the sample bottle before obtaining the sample?

Analytical equipment is very sensitive and most Joes do not understand this fact. There are many outside contaminates many people overlook: antiperspirant, cologne, salt from food or the fingers, tools, greases, sealant, metals from coins, ect.

Proper sample taking is paramount to a quality OA report.

All in all the report looks ok to me. I would send one out @ the routine sample interval to track the Fe increase/decrease.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I wouldn't be really too concerned. You had no insolubles (soot/nitration would show up here on a patch/blotter test) and you have no other associated wear metals. Now if you had Fe/ Cr, or Cu/Pb/Fe, or Fe/Si, or Fe/Ni/Cu elements going up together then I would be worried.

Is Fe alone worthy of a resample? Yes, but only when it is due. I wouldn't rush a sample off because of the increase, as it could be an anomoly. For 200K that is a pretty good report.

Your B is on the high side too, but no Na reported. Water and coolant is low as well. B and Na are flags for e.glycol but with no water or coolant then it is probably an outside contaminate. Unless, you had to top off w/ an off brand oil as opposed to your normal oil. Your data says no oil added so it has to be an odd spike. No top off oil added.

If the truck sat for a bit then was ridden hard that could be where the excessive Fe came from (oxidation). If it is a daily driver then who knows? Daily Driver It could have occured @ the lab (things happen-not trying to diss Blackstone).

It could be a sampling error. Was the sample taken cold? Cold sampling will cause a elemental increase.Sample taken hot. If you have a sample valve installed, did you allow for a purge before taking the sample? Fumuto valve on drain pan. Oil ran for 1-2 minutes before sample was takenClean sampling components? Twirling your fingers inside of the sample bottle before obtaining the sample?No fingers were in the bottle.

Analytical equipment is very sensitive and most Joes do not understand this fact. There are many outside contaminates many people overlook: antiperspirant, cologne, salt from food or the fingers, tools, greases, sealant, metals from coins, ect.

Proper sample taking is paramount to a quality OA report.

All in all the report looks ok to me. I would send one out @ the routine sample interval to track the Fe increase/decrease.

Tbar

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Well.........my iron levels improved slightly this sample but are still way too high.

Wonder if I have a problem and how I could try and find it.

Tbar

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58