Bleeding the Brake Lines

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
Just finished replacing new pads all around, and new rear rotors and rebuilt calipers. I've bled twice, but still have a little sponginess going on. Never had this problem before. Do I need to bleed a third time, and flush out any trapped air, or what the heck? How many times do you guys open and close each bleeder fitting before moving to the next one? I only opened up the rear lines for the new calipers this particular brake job, but didn't bleed them till the following morning. I noticed that the new calipers were already full w/ fluid that siphoned back(just a minor bit of air) when I bled them. I also read that air can get trapped in the anti-lock brake system hydraulic control unit. And if this happens, your suppose to bring it to dealer or someone who is capable of bleeding with the aid of a scan tool? What?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The brake systems bleeds through the anti-lock brake system and nothing is needed to be done to get the air out of the ABS. I hope you started by bleeding the longest run first. Then the next longest and etc. I can send you the file on bleeding these brakes, but it is nothing special. If you want the file, PM me your email address and I will send it.

Dave

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
The brake systems bleeds through the anti-lock brake system and nothing is needed to be done to get the air out of the ABS. I hope you started by bleeding the longest run first. Then the next longest and etc. I can send you the file on bleeding these brakes, but it is nothing special. If you want the file, PM me your email address and I will send it.

Dave
Thanks Dave for reply. Yes, I do know how to bleed brakes; r.r.-l.r.-r.f.-l.f., in that order. And I do have repair manuals. It is where I read about the need for bleeding w/ a scantool by dealer or shop w/ proper equipment if air gets trapped in the hydraulic control unit. I don't make this stuff up. So apparently there can be something special about bleeding the brakes. I just thought someone that knows about this would respond. But I do appreciate your wanting to help me learn how to bleed brakes Dave. I'm going to buy some more fluid and see if I can flush out any residual air that I almost got out. I would rather walk, than bring my truck to a f%^&@ dealer!! And please spare me any pro dealer stories, if anyone is considering this. Just thinking about Dealers gets me pissed off. Sorry for the short Rant.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
My Ford Service DVD said NOTHING about bleeding the HCU or any other special procedures, so standard bleeding is in order, which you have done. I did not find anything about using a scanner when bleeding the brakes. By the way, I did not mean to imply that you did not know how to bleed brakes.

Dave :)

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
My Ford Service DVD said NOTHING about bleeding the HCU or any other special procedures, so standard bleeding is in order, which you have done. I did not find anything about using a scanner when bleeding the brakes. By the way, I did not mean to imply that you did not know how to bleed brakes.

Dave :)
No harm taken Dave. Normally we don't have to worry about this scantool required for bleeding unless changing out the HCU or MC or repairing any lines in between these. But apparently it can happen that air gets trapped and the scantool is necessary. Would you mind checking the bleeding procedure when changing out the ABS System/ HCU. Perhaps they mention the scantool process there. It is necessary to open the ABS pump valves while bleeding to get the air out. That is what I've been reading. But no specifics(another Forum thread) as there would be in your Service DVD. I appreciated you checking this out for me before, thanks.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Just to throw my .02 in, but you may want to take the calipers back off the axle and check that the pads slide good in the bridge, and the pins also slide good and free

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have looked at the DVD and is does not show or say anything about using a scan tool for anything related to the HCU. It shows how to physically remove the 5 brake lines going to the unit, and a warning about using only FORD brake lines, as these are special brake lines. Did you replace any of these lines? It refers to the regular bleeding procedure for bleeding the brakes. I see NOTHING unusual in all of this.

I also looked at the MC and again I see nothing unusual about the Master Cylinder or the procedures for bleeding it. It says NOTHING about using a scan tool. But there are about 10 gallons worth of warnings about power steering fluid and all of the harm it can do to paint and you.

Sorry fordoor, I do not see anything like you asked.

Dave :dunno

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I have looked at the DVD and is does not show or say anything about using a scan tool for anything related to the HCU. It shows how to physically remove the 5 brake lines going to the unit, and a warning about using only FORD brake lines, as these are special brake lines. Did you replace any of these lines? It refers to the regular bleeding procedure for bleeding the brakes. I see NOTHING unusual in all of this.

I also looked at the MC and again I see nothing unusual about the Master Cylinder or the procedures for bleeding it. It says NOTHING about using a scan tool. But there are about 10 gallons worth of warnings about power steering fluid and all of the harm it can do to paint and you.

Sorry fordoor, I do not see anything like you asked.

Dave :dunno
This is one place that I read about the scantool bleed.Brake bleeding problem Ex - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I looked again and I still can NOT find any reference to using a scan tool for bleeding the brakes. I did look again because of the post on FTE and where IT shows using a scan tool. Not in my DVD. :dunno

On Edit: Maybe on a different year Service DVD. Mine is for the 2004 F-350 with either engine, 6.0 or 7.3

Dave

Last edited:

fordoor

SDD Member
Reaction score
I looked again and I still can NOT find any reference to using a scan tool for bleeding the brakes. I did look again because of the post on FTE and where IT shows using a scan tool. Not in my DVD. :dunno

On Edit: Maybe on a different year Service DVD. Mine is for the 2004 F-350 with either engine, 6.0 or 7.3

Dave
Thanks for your effort Dave, I appreciate that. My manual is 1999-2006 that talks about the scantool. But...... I went and bled a third time and all is good (three's a charm). I essentially flushed the whole system (not a bad thing). Just missed a little air that was in the middle somewhere. I'm very glad I avoided a "SCANBLEED"??? at the dealers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58