Blew HPOP plug on 03 7.3L

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm posting this for my brother:D
We were just leaving home with his 7.3 (WVO is cheap fuel) He had an engine oil leak on top the engine, a plug on the HPOP was a little loose, 13mm hex, he tightened it and the leak seemed to be gone. We got a half mile down the road and the thing died, got out and oil all over the place, the plug was GONE. I haven't even looked at it myself (as we are currently rolling down the highway in the faithful Windstar) but what can we expect to need to do tomorrow to fix the problem, is that an o-ring plug, could it have stripped or just loosened up???
Thanks guys!:sweet

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
both. mainly the o rings go bad. the pressure will work them loose if not seated properly. yes, they will strip out the housing if not careful, the plug usually is ok. if the o ring is damaged, you can get the plug tight but it will work itself loose again. i bought the hpop line release tool and some o rings from puredieselpower.com you can make your own tool, i did for my first repair... but when the line blew the second time, i went ahead and bought one. its up to you.

ford said i had to buy the whole pump. i laughed... then they said maybe just the fitting.... in the end, i was only able to get the orings by themselves from a non dealership store.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Which plug? The one that faces the rear of the vehicle?

You have to be very careful with the fittings and plugs in the HPOP. They are all #5 o-ring boss plugs, if they are leaking replace the o-ring. Overtightening usually strips them out which is what happened to your brothers IMO. Use a mirror to see if the threads are still good. Not sure on where to find a new plug or the thread pitch for the heli-coil....I know Bean's know what it is.

The tool for the lines can be bought from CAT for about 8$. I'll have to get mine out of the truck tool box to get you the #.

Good luck!

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Well, he pulled the HPOP, it's the plug on the bottom, yes it is stripped out. I didn't think that a helicoil would be an option as a nice chamfer is required for the ORB plug to seal. We did drill it and tap it to 1/4" NPT, the project is in progress, I think it will work out...

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
OK, I got one more question. There is a little valve stem in the one of the out ports on the HPOP, it appears to me that there should be one in both of them, as both ports are the same. Is there only one in one of them or one in both ports?
:thanks

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
You talking about the ports where the QD fittings for the lines are? There should be one in each fitting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg