Block Heater Blowing GFCI

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, about 2 weeks ago, it was snowing like mad and about 10 degrees outside, so I thought I would plug my truck in since it has to sit outside at the new house....-mad The heater blew the GFCI as soon as I plugged it in. I had just used the same outlet and cord 2 weeks prior with no issues. So, I switched outlets, cords and order of connection in every possible combination with no difference in result. So, I took it to the dealer for a very minor oil leak issue and asked them to check it while they were there. They told me that all of their diesels blow the GFCI when they plug them in and there's nothing wrong with it...WTF! Why would I have a block heater if I can't use it?

Please feel free to shed any light you can on this subject!

TIA,
Rusty

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Lots of things don't work with a GFCI, so all you can do is bypass the GFCI plug and use a straight plug.

Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Mine doesn't trip my GFCI. There is a short or bare wire somewhere that is causing it to trip. Anything that will draw more than .25 amps and not "return" through the neutral wire could be the cause. It could be as simple as a nick in the ungrounded wire touching water.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it started when the snow flew, so maybe ice was on the plug or something along those lines.

thanks,
Rusty

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl