Block heater plug?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early 99 and where the block heater should plug into the oil filter housing is a big plug with a 1/2" ratchet (square) hole. Does this mean I don't have one or the electrical connections are behind that plug? Am I about to make a big oily mess by taking that plug out?
Jesse

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Block heater

I have never seen a truck without the block heater already in it. Make sure you are in the right place. The heater goes in the coolent not the oil. Do waste $ on a ford heater the heater is made by Zero start go to a good parts store.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just looked on another truck and traced it back...it plugs in just above the filter boss, any ideas?

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Block heater

Yes thats it about two inches up from your filter is a or should be a big brass nut with a ac wire coming out of it. Hopfully you can get that plug out then just put a new Zero Start heater and cord set in. Go to a good parts store that carries Zero Start and get the heater and cord set

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No wire coming out, just the plug. If I take the plug out will the wire be in there? Will I dump oil or coolant everywhere? So I will have to buy the just the cord or I have to buy the heater too? I thought the heater was built into the engine?

howardsvm

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
block heater

no the heater is a electrical heater loop just like an electric hot water heater it's part of the big brass hex nut with the wire coming out of it. Go buy the correct heater for your truck and it will be self explanatory. Go on zero start web site maybe theres a picture. Change it out when the truck is cold if you are fast you will only loose a quart of coolant. You may have trouble getting the old pipe plug out be patent.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14