Block heater stopped working

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
So about a week ago my block heater just stopped working. I haven't had a chance to look at it in the day light yet, but they aren't fused or anything are they? It is basically just an extension cord with a heating element on the end correct?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, no fuses. Put an ohm meter across the plug and see if you get about 15 ohms, if open it is shot.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
if you have to end up changing out the heating element...i wonder if youll have to drain your coolant or is the elemet housed in something?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You gotta drain it OR wear it. Easier to drain the coolant, fix the heater, re-fill; than to mop up spilled coolant.

Dave :)

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I was on my second cord before my plug went. Make sure your cord is good before you go replacing the plug. :coffee

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
OK....I like the idea of improving the cord (bigger is better I always say!!)

So....How do I go about doing that? I mean, I know how ot improve the plug end and the cord, but how do I improve the end that plugs into the element?
:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK....I like the idea of improving the cord (bigger is better I always say!!)

So....How do I go about doing that? I mean, I know how ot improve the plug end and the cord, but how do I improve the end that plugs into the element?
:dunno

Don't know the configuration on a 6.4 but......

:dunno I [soldered] in a splice, about 6" from the element plug.:dunno

Another fix to Amp load/voltage loss is: Use a Heavy Duty (12 ga minimum, 10 ga is better) extension cord to supply power to the Block Heater cord.... through a 20 amp (Min) timer.... on a circuit that doesn't have any other demands on it, during the time period you have the timer set for ?

Joe

FWIW ? I made up a dedicated, 10 gauge cord.. that is [Just Long Enough].. to reach from the timer.. to my Block Heater plug. Minimum Amp load/voltage loss ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr