Block Heater

Mr. Vermilion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Anybody out there ever use those magnetic block heaters. Whats a good aftermarket block heater?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
why?
isn't your factory one operational?

to answer your question, though..
the best aftermarket ones are those that splice in a heater hose.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The factory heater is as good as they come. ALL motors have a block heater. Your truck may not have the cord to the heater. Ebay has them for $15.00 each.

Dave

Mr. Vermilion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
On my '05 I dont have a plug at the tow hitch for one. It's not usually cold enough in my neck of the woods to justify spending the money and changing the oil to a different grade unless the truck needs an oil change 'cause of mileage. In sayin' that it has been unusually cold here and I killed both batts. trying to turnover the motor. Cycling the key on just ain't enough.

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Most to all Ford trucks equipped with a diesel come with a block heater, some without cords but the element is there. I just recently purchased a oil pan blanket for my 01 cause it's 10 degrees here now. You might want to check them out if you don't want to spend the money on the cord, sometimes they are well hidden too so look real close. Here's the link to Wolverine.

Wolverine Engine Oil Heaters

Mr. Vermilion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Did'nt know that. Anybody have pics of where I tie this wire kit into. I just assumed, no plug-no heater. Uxcuse my ignorance, I gess I do'nt know everything about my truck.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The block heater is on the right side (passengers side) of the block, just above the starter. It is in one of the freeze plug holes. Just add a cord to the front of the truck and you are good.

Dave

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave, that true on the 7.3? Yeah, I've searched around.

Directly above the starter is a metal plug, then a little forward (grill side) of the starter is another freeze plug hole. It does have metal in the middle but has what appears to be plastic laid in the with plug and a bit of oil seeping around it.

Wanna make sure before I go to getting pliers and pulling plugs.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That sounds like the one. Be careful, that is the water jacket and you will get real wet if you pop out to freeze plug. Drain the block first.

Dave

dpantazis

Reaction score
on the 7.3 the heater is just forward and above the OIL FILTER bracket!
Here is a picture of mine. The orange cord routes to the front bumper.

2760184670086060654S600x600Q85.jpg

Mr Vermillion: the plug would be up front, not at the rear of the truck. Look for the heater on the block. If there is a cord, trace it. If not, get one and install it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58