Block Heater

Thecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the diesel world I was just wondering I plugged my truck in for the first time 3 hrs ago it is and is going to be a super cold night. I just went out should the temp gauge be staying up cause its not. There is a small arc at the plug so I'm thinking the heater is working just a nornal arc from a load.
Thanks

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
The stock temperature gauge is a joke. Don't rely on it. If you have an aftermarket mechanical coolant gauge it will show some heat, but much more a minute or so after you crank it up, once the warm coolant circulates. My block heater heats to 115*F-120*F by dawn...but I'm not in Canada.

atk

Reaction score
i have had my truck plugged in for 6-8hrs on some nights. the only reason i did that is because we had some ice rain and there were going to be some power outages. the timer i have has to be reset everytime power goes out. when on the timer, usually 3-4 hrs...depending on the outside temps..lately has been around -5C for the highs and around -15C at nights....

Thecat

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I just thought the factory gauge should show a little something. Hi Alex kinda close bye I'm in Windsor its Chilly here tonight. HAHA I can see myself driving away with this cord still plugged in.

Perry

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
HAHA I can see myself driving away with this cord still plugged in.

Don't jinx yourself. :D Many have driven away while still plugged in. :eek: The commonly accepted technique is to drape the cord over the driver's side door mirror. :sweet

atk

Reaction score
yeah not to far away, about 3 hrs west of me....the first thing i do when i go outside is unplug the truck, before i start it....have a bright red cord and almost trip over everymourning....:roflmao

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're not to far me either. I'm about 4.5 hrs north west of you. What I do to remember to unplug my truck is loop the cord around the mirror that way even if your half-a-sleep in the morning you still remember.

Last edited:

dante59

Full Access Member
Reaction score
plug-in!!

hi everyone,, hope you are all well. So, heres how it goes at my house,there is a side door to the gar/workshop, that is my normal way in.,that takes me right to the front of the truck, i have a fold up/down shop bench i put in front with timer/power cord. You got to know the first thing i do ... i have to step over the orange cord to get to the drivers side,, if i miss all that ,,,someone please come get the keys lol.. have a great day !!!!!dante, (richard):roflmao :roflmao

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
slight hijack notice!!

as for the heater that was a factory installed item. Is there any reason other than the element is burnt out as for it to not work the past 2 mornings? I was told not to plug it in anymore for fear of electrical charging the motor. T/F

p.s. the cord works, the outlets works, no circuit breaker tripped.....

hijack off!?!?!?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg