Help Needed Blown #30 fuse?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving down the interstate and I lost engine power immediately. Pulled over and realized the #30 30 amp fuse labeled injector driver relay coil fuse had blown. I switch it out with my 15 amp horn fuse and drive home. Replace it with the correct 30 amp and it's good for another couple days until I go out to start it, turn on the ignition and the OD light comes on (tell-tale sign that the fuse had blown), replace it twice more and twice more it blows at the turn of the key...is this something I can trace down or am I going to have to take it in?
Jesse

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
hopefully, it's a shorted fuel bowl heater.

outside chance it may be an IDM full if water (they're in a real jewel of a spot, up in the driver's fender), but they're usually good/bad with no squeakin it by ..

on the fuel bowl, take and disconnect the wires going to it, replace the fuse and try to start it. If it does, and the fuse quits blowing, you've found your problem.

If not, hang on to your tidy whities. IDM's don't come cheap and there's no work-around.

Last edited:

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So because it showed symptoms and then they went away, you think it's less plausible to be the IDM (I'm assuming mean injector driver module?) Do all trucks have a fuel bowl heater? My truck has all the other cold-weather delete stuff...no EBPV, block heater, AIH, etc....
Jesse

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that on the back of the fuel bowl is a wire that just uses a spade bit to attache to it. Worse comes to worse drain your fuel bowl, pull your fuel filter, may be a good idea to change it if it's been a while. Look in the bottom of the fuel bowl there is a small piece of wire on the bottom that has a lead to it, follow it and see where it attaches to the bowl on the outside. Disconnect it and see if the fuse blows, fuse 30 is tied in with the IDM bad idea FoMoCo. This is a common problem with these trucks, I replaced mine with one from International for $29.00 when FoMoCo wanted $135 and change for the little piece of wire. The International is heavy duty and is a REAL part. Good luck........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14