Question Blown Headgasket?

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the diesel shop and I had my pyrometer hooked up. The mechanic lifted the hood and said I have a blown headgasket on the drivers side because of water marks on the coolant tank. He says that he would bet money that the headgasket is leaking. The water level is normal, it does not heat up anymore than usual, and is not down on power. Do you I have to assume that it is bad or could it be just the overflow tank burping?

jyoung

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I stopped by the diesel shop and I had my pyrometer hooked up. The mechanic lifted the hood and said I have a blown headgasket on the drivers side because of water marks on the coolant tank. He says that he would bet money that the headgasket is leaking. The water level is normal, it does not heat up anymore than usual, and is not down on power. Do you I have to assume that it is bad or could it be just the overflow tank burping?

There could be many reasons for water marks on the degas tank....my cap for the degas bottle was loose and caused water marks on the degas Tank.... once I tighten it up no more leaks.

I would check that first just to eliminate that. I've also heard that the caps can go bad. If you are still getting coolant leaking out I would have someone check out the egr cooler. I think if your headgaskets were bad you would be loosing coolant not to mention you may have coolant in the oil and you may also be blowing smoke.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
it could be a cap, it could have been overfilled, it could be head gaskets, it could be a cracked block.......definitely dont assume its gaskets, although it very well may be.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Zookie sez... So maybe do a Coolant System pressure test first ?

:dunno

Joe

Last edited:

Fine69

Reaction score
You can also have your oil tested to see if there is any coolant in it. That would be a very easy, inexpensive test.

sss521

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok I did a sig, also the ford dealers said it was only 80 bucks for a coolant check that would tell me what the problem is. I am the 2nd owner of the truck is there any warrenty on the motor since I did not buy it new?

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
factory warranties apply to the vehicle, regardless of owner. private party war's are totally different. i dont know the ford warranty for your truck, but its would be a free phone call to the dealer (have your VIN and mileage ready) to have them find out if its covered or not.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
warranty is 5 year 100,000 for the driveline. I assume it would depend on what month the original owner bought it if it is still in effect.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58