blown off rubbers

chuck416ex

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
couple weeks ago while towing my toyhualer i blow off one of the rubber? couplers from the intercooler to turbo at about 23 psi of boost. is thier some sort of high boost coupling?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Not really. You can try double clamping the connector boot to the tube.

Question: Have you done a PCV mod yet?

Normally, the PCV is vented into the intake between the air filter and turbo. Usually there is a certain amount of oil mist coming from the PCV vent. That oil mist go thru the turbo and into the tube to the intercooler. The oil gets all over the tube, gets it all slimey and makes it hard for the connector boots to get a grip. As soon as you build any boost, POP goes the connector tube.

The PCV mod re-routes the vent outside so the oil mist is not routed thru the intake/turbo/intercooler. Since there is no oil, the intercooler tubes stay clean & dry and your connector boots don't (shouldn't) pop off.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean the boot and the pipe so its oil free...brake clean or simple green works well...spay them with hair spray and clamp them down..the hair spray works like glue when it dries....if you crank too much you will crush the pipe..after its clamped take her for a couple easy going rides to get things hot cool and hot again then re TQ them...you should be good to go after that....the CCV mod is a good thing as well..

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into some aftermarket boots also. If you still have the factory ones they will become oil filled and just never work right after that.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other suggestion that goes along with newer boots is to get a welder to lay a small bead in 2-3 places around the outlets of the intercooler and the pipe ends. This will provide a ridge to keep the clamp from sliding off.

Since you have a '99 more than likely you have a completely metal intercooler.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
clean the boot and the pipe so its oil free...brake clean or simple green works well...spay them with hair spray and clamp them down..the hair spray works like glue when it dries....if you crank too much you will crush the pipe..after its clamped take her for a couple easy going rides to get things hot cool and hot again then re TQ them...you should be good to go after that....the CCV mod is a good thing as well..

You might want to look into some aftermarket boots also. If you still have the factory ones they will become oil filled and just never work right after that.

X2 On ALL the above ;tu

I did all that (& Y pipe boots too) about 100K+ miles ago.. Haven't blown any boot since. Tow a 12k lb 5r and put 25(+ at times) lbs of boost on routinely.

A Testimonial ?

Last edited:

hawkdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had some new boots from DieselSite for about 2 months now and just haven't had time to put them on. My old ones are in horrible shape. It can only improve things I'm sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14