blown rear end. fantastic.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure 4.56 gears aren't helping at all either.. :D

I think the gain from having it open vs. a limited slip would be negligible but I'm sure losing some weight in the form of smaller rubber would help tremendously. :lmao It does look badass though.:sweet

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks pringle! Would my gearing get all crazy if I slapped some smaller tires on it while leaving the same 4.56 gearing??

dpantazis

Reaction score
i'd think that you will pull of the line like a bat out of h3ll, but hit a wall pretty quick.

EDIT: are you talking about mixing your gearing? I think that if you do NOT use 4x and change your rear gears, you will be ok. do not mix ratios front to back if you are going to use 4x.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks pringle! Would my gearing get all crazy if I slapped some smaller tires on it while leaving the same 4.56 gearing??

It really depends on what you do with your truck. If you tow a heavy fifth wheel or other heavy loads consistently you'd love them with 35s. I've got a friend with an almost identical setup with 4.56s and he runs 35s but now that he does more unloaded freeway driving he wants to drop down to 4.10s. I have 3.73s in my truck with 35s would love to step up to 4.10s. The 38s with the 4.56 ratio are a perfect match but you could definitely gain some mpgs with a shorter, narrower and more importantly lighter tire. What kind of mileage do you get right now?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
From what you have described as your main use I think a standard open differential would be the most practical and economical.

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what you have described as your main use I think a standard open differential would be the most practical and economical.

Economical yes, practical I don't agree. A Limited slip would be more practical. If you're willing to spend the money having the ability to have 100% lock when you need it and unlocked when you don't is the best of both worlds. The best part is they're definitely stronger than the stock garbage LSD.:sweet

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What makes a limited slip practical on a daily driver highway truck?

None if he didn't do anything but drive on the highway.Considering his truck more than likely came from the factory with an LSD the cost of an open carrier plus spider gears will damn near cost as much as an aftermarket one. Plus if he gets one that has a low bias ratio then it will act much like an open diff and only lock the two when he wants it. Which to me at that point spend the little extra to replace it with an ARB and get 100% engagement when you want and 100% open when you don't. He already has to rebuild the entire rear end why not do it right?:sweet

Here's a link with a factory LSD and other options.
- FORD 10 1/4 - 10 1/2 LOCKERS AND CARRIERS

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS for all the info fellas! Next question:

If I decide to go with an ARB air locker, how big of an air compressor do i need? Reason I ask is because I already have an air compressor for my train horns, mounted on the passenger side custom rocker panel. You can see it in my pics. I'm almost positive it has more than 1 port, but I have no idea if this would suffice, or if I'd need an entirely seperate tank/compressor...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58