FYI Blue and White smoke

ATVTYSON

ATVTYSON
Reaction score
My 2005 6.0 liter got hot the other day. I checked it and it needed coolant. 2 gallons of coolant later I lost low end power and started blowing blue and white smoke out of the tail pipe.

Is this an EGR problem or a blown head gasket. What should I be looking for?

Reverend Jim

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The loss of that much coolant and the smoke points to the head gasket.

ATVTYSON

ATVTYSON
Reaction score
It is a 6.0 with 65,000 miles on it and I took it to a dealership a couple of hours from home. They replaced the EGR valve, changed the oil and filters andd serviced the transmission and sent me on my way. It ran good for 1200 hundred miles and now I have no power again and black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I had it towed to a different dealership closer to my house. Service manager called me today requesting permission to do a tear down to check the EGR Cooler. He then said Ford Warranty inspector is going to come inspect it on Monday to determine if I have taken care of my truck and if I have modified it. My truck has no engine modifications and I have regularly serviced it. Luckily I had the oil and filters changed by the other dealership when the EGR valve was changed. Hopefully the Ford Warrant inspector will approve the repair since I paid $4,000.00 for the extended warranty when I bought the truck new. The service manager told me Ford sends out a Warranty Inspector anytime the warranty repair is over $2,000.00. Has anybody else been through this? Do I need to worry?

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like broken egr cooler. when a HG goes it will usually puke coolant.

mark6403av

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the truck is all stock, like you said. ( no exhaust or chip ) you'll be ok.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58