Help Needed Blue/Grey Smoke coming out strong

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well, ive been chasing a whining noise from underneath that has been directly related to boost pressure (hear the whining around 8 psi) and then it turned into a sound thats almost like the turbo is surging, but its not. I've determined (or I think) the whining sound....which has ironically gone away since the weather has warmed up...is my passenger side up pipe seal leaking (would explain the exhaust smell in cab).

Drove for about 2 hrs today at 80+ mph, got to my destination and had already turned the truck back to stock...and start to notice a greyish/blue smoke from the tailpipe. I could revv it and it would come out more, almost missing out a bit (much like the continual issue ive had with revving it when the chip is on) but now it did it stock. EGT's have maybe been a tad higher (my guess is due to leaky up-pipe) and boost might not come as quick (again...up pipe) but other than that the truck has run fine. No CEL.

What do you guys think is wrong? Is my turbo about to grenade on me? Do I have a bum injector? The smoke is coming out pretty good now.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
with your truck?
hard tellin'..

you may be able to feel roughness in the bearings of the turbo if you spin it by hand with the engine off....

JRJ04

Reaction score
Is that some sarcasm I sense there lol?!

Does it sound at all injector related? I would just think it would be running rough...

I gotta get back to houston...about 100 miles...can I try and make it? What's at risk?

dpantazis

Reaction score
risk- nothing that money can not fix. :p

not trying to be sarcastic-considering all the issues you have, getting a good mechanic to look at is the best thing you can do considering all the other issues you have had.

JRJ04

Reaction score
risk- nothing that money can not fix. :p

not trying to be sarcastic-considering all the issues you have, getting a good mechanic to look at is the best thing you can do considering all the other issues you have had.

couldnt agree with you more dp...ive been putting it off, and i think its finally coming to fruition...

does it sound more like turbo or injectors?

JRJ04

Reaction score
Update...

about to attempt the drive back home...i pulled the intake off and cant tell that theres any rough spots when rotating it around and there doesnt seem to be any endplay other than normal.

could it be a bad batch of fuel??? my tank is low...

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my turbo went out, I could hear a constant "bearing-going-out" sound almost right in front of me in the dash. I was driving about 70mph on I-20E. It started on me in Merridian, MS and finally went out when I got hom. It was pouring oil into my turbo (I guess from the ccv) and making a smoke storm behind me. I could turn the truck off and I could hear the turbo scrubbing at the tail pipe.

Your situation sounds a little simillar but a buzz test wouldn't hurt I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim