Blue smoke at start up, random no starts.

bradkline

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2005 F250 with the 6.0 diesel and auto transmission. It has 115,000 miles on it. Only non-stock item is a SuperChips Flashpaq set on performance, which I took off tonight in case it was part of the problem. Over the last week it has been having blue smoke billow out of the exhaust at start up for about 10-15 seconds, then it goes away. It has also had two times where I let the glow plugs go until the light went off, then cranked for a good 10 seconds and it did not start. I turned off the key both times, immediately tried again and it fired right up. Starting to get a little cold here, been in the low 40's throughout the day, don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am new to diesel trucks. A few times have been after it sat for a while and a few have been when I start it within a few minutes of turning it off. :confused: Any input is appreciated!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
A little smoke after starting is normal with that many miles on your truck. I have the same mileage and I get a little smoke on a cold day and the first start of the day. If it starts, you are good to go. You can try and cycle the key a couple of times, until the WTS light goes out each time, and then start it. WTS = Wait To Start.

Dave

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
yeah, i've got the small puff of blue smoke upon mornings first start now that the weather has gotten colder.....just gotta deal w/ it...as no other issues are present....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl