BlueMule broken down in Albuquerque, New Mexico

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Rodney asked me to post this for anyone in the Albuquerque area who could possibly help him locate a PCM. He's only running on four cylinders. Passenger side is dead. It's a 96 Powerstroke. Call him 24/7 on his cell 602-284-0170. He's in a parking lot.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just talked to Rodney....i gave em the pricing
and phone number for auto computer exchange

he said check engine light came on & then started
running rough...pulled in to a parking lot & got out
and raised the hood...

he replaced the cps and that didnt fix things.

in checking things out he used a laser thermometer
and discovered the entire passenger side bank is COLD.

i dont know the 7.3 much less the 96 version.

if anyone has any ideas call 'em or post 'em here and
ill call 'em w/ the info.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
harness is what I'd be checking.. I have a hard time believing an IDM puked a whole bank...

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
UPDATE:

He swapped out his spare IDM with no improvement.
He just scanned it and came up with P1291.
He's about to do a buzz and contribution test.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Entire Left Bank???

Gotta be the UVC Harness for sure. I start by checking that ;)

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what the book said. But the lap top thats pluged in to ford said:

DTCs P1291 and P1292 indicate a ground short or short to battery positive exists on the high side circuit between the IDM and the injectors. The following table list the circuits to inspect while performing these pinpoint tests, based on the DTC retrieved during the KOEO test.

DTC High Side Bank
P1291 1087 (OG) Right
P1292 878 (PK/YE) Left

Heres What I have on it. If he need more test info let me know.

Injector Driver circuit Operation
Introduction NA: Pinpoint Tests

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Output Functions
High Side Drive Outputs (Right and Left Bank) — The high side driver output function is to distribute energy to the correct bank based on cylinder identification (CID) and provide regulated current to the unit injectors, based on fuel delivery command signal (FDCS) from the injector driver module (IDM) internal 115 V supply. The injection timing and duration is commanded by the powertrain control module (PCM) in the FDCS.

Low Side Drive Outputs — The low side drive outputs control the sequencing (firing order) of the engine based on the CID and FDCS inputs.

WARNING: RED-STRIPED WIRES CARRY 115 V DC. SEVERE ELECTRICAL SHOCK MAY BE RECEIVED. DO NOT PIERCE.

CAUTION: Do not pierce engine electrical wires or damage to the harness can occur.

Detection/Management

Note: Special instructions required to clear IDM trouble codes.

Key on.
Record IDM trouble codes stored in KOEO ON-DEMAND SELF TEST and KOEO INJECTOR ELECTRICAL SELF TEST modes.
Access RETRIEVE/CLEAR CONTINUOUS DTCs from scan tool menu to clear IDM trouble codes from memory.
Record any codes displayed.
Push CLEAR ALL button on scan tool.
IDM trouble codes are now cleared from memory. Repeat the KOEO On-Demand Self Test and KOEO Injector Electrical Self Test. Any IDM codes that reappear are IDM hard faults. If no IDM codes reappear, then the fault is an intermittent IDM fault.
The IDM is capable of detecting individual injector open and shorts to either ground or battery while the engine is running. It is also capable of detecting right or left bank high side opens or shorts to ground. A special on-demand buzz electrical self test will also allow the operator to enable all injector solenoids while the engine is off to verify operation. IDM detected trouble codes will not be transmitted if the EF line is not functioning; however, the engine will not shut down due to a non-functional EF line.

If a low side short to ground condition is determined by the IDM, this condition will be transmitted to the PCM via the EF signal. The PCM will enable the CHECK ENGINE light and command minimum fuel to the affected bank.

V3CusenfileA0030608_gifgenref.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg