Boost and Boost relief valve?

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Hey folks,
I may have asked this before. But what exactly is boost, and what does it do? Also how much of a wise investment is a boost relief valve? As well as who to go with? I took y'alls advice on DP Tuner and wasn't mislead, now I need it again. Thanks again folks y'all have truely been a real help compared to anywhere else on the net I go (not to mention other sites names that I no longer frequent hehe).

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Hey folks,
I may have asked this before. But what exactly is boost, and what does it do? Also how much of a wise investment is a boost relief valve?

Boost is the forced induction of the engine. This force is generated by the turbocharger and is controlled by a wastegate (boost relief valve). Many trucks do not have a wastegate but are controlled by carefully matching of the engine and turbocharger. You need to get a book about basic turbocharging and read it to better understand the whole system and the components.

Dave

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
Fireman said:
Hey folks,
I may have asked this before. But what exactly is boost, and what does it do? Also how much of a wise investment is a boost relief valve? As well as who to go with? I took y'alls advice on DP Tuner and wasn't mislead, now I need it again. Thanks again folks y'all have truely been a real help compared to anywhere else on the net I go (not to mention other sites names that I no longer frequent hehe).

Is your check engine light coming on? The only reason you would need a boost relief valve is if you are tripping the sensor.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
whatabudro said:
Is your check engine light coming on? The only reason you would need a boost relief valve is if you are tripping the sensor.
Too much boost PSI ;)

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Too much boost PSI ;)

He hasn't said thats why he wants it though, he said as "a wise investment" It doesn't lower the boost at the turbo, only fools the ecm :cool:

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As has been said said... boost is created by the turbocharger system to force more air into the cylinders. More air = more power

If your talking about the boost relief valve that Bob Riley sells - it is to keep the truck from setting off the SES light and to keep the computer from defueling the motor.

Some people call the wastegate a boost relief valve because it keeps you from developing to much boost and blowing out your head gaskets... It seems that 35-40psi is the threshold for head gaskets... so you have to be careful. But the wastegate and the boost relief valve from Bob are two very different things.

The BRV from Bob is to help create or to maintain your power while the wastegate actually causes you to loose power when it opens.

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Boost is basically the product of the fuel burnt causing exhaust backpressure in the manifolds. From there the pressure builds against the exhaust wheel and the exhaust housing. That's what spins the turbo, the compressor side takes in air and becomes an air pump. The engine is feed air. The more fuel you add the more the air pump puts out...higher boost.

People run a BRV on the MAP line to only let it see less than 25psi, 17-25psi is max boost levels for our MAP sensor. Max boost puts you into max fuel tables and such. Also the stocker isn't made to see over 25psi.

Now if by chance you are hearing weird sounds from your turbo now that she's "turned up" and you think you need a "blow-off valve" between the turbo and the intercooler. You don't. You need an ATS housing or WW. Or try drive to where it doesn't make those weird sounds. :sweet

Fireman

Resident Of Hicktown
Reaction score
Thanks guys...think I'll hold off an see what happens.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
What pressure are you seeing on you boost guage at WOT in your highest chip setting?

If you are seeing above 20 or there abouts if I recall, the PCM will "De-fuel" the motor in an attempt to lower boost/power to protect the motor. So you will loose power. The boost relief valve "blows off" some of the boost to the Map sensor (not actually blowing off boost (air pressure) to the motor) to fool it and keep the engine from De-Fueling.

Hope that helped some.

:cowboy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14