Boost Fooler or Boost Relief Valve?

JRJ04

Reaction score
From what I understand, the wastegate on the truck listed in my sig starts to open up at around 15lb. of boost. will a boost fooler remedy this problem?

Additionally, which is better; the boost fooler or the BRV? Both are offered by our sponsors and they make a good case for each one.

Your guidance would be appreciated!

Jourdan

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, the wastegate on the truck listed in my sig starts to open up at around 15lb. of boost. will a boost fooler remedy this problem?

Additionally, which is better; the boost fooler or the BRV? Both are offered by our sponsors and they make a good case for each one.

Your guidance would be appreciated!

Jourdan

Hi Jordan,

A Boost Pressure Relief Valve, AKA.. Boost Fool-er, BPRV or Boost Tube.. are basically.. One and the same. They keep your MAP (manifold pressure sensor) from detecting pre-set (19ish lbs,by Ford/IH) pressures that will make the MAP sensor send a signal to the PCM that Over-boost is occurring.

By installing one you can build a bit more Boost Pressure without the CES/SES light coming on, maybe setting a code, causing the PCM to go to a De-fueling Mode.

The choice of which one to install and who you buy it from.. is your choice.

Hope this Helps ?

Joe

For the Lurker/Viewer ? DO NOT install a BPRV without a Boost Gauge... ( you need to be able to SEE what boost pressures you are making)

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
the electrical plug in deal tends to be less troublesome, i know some people who have the pressure bleed off style and they are constantly fussing.

JRJ04

Reaction score
yea it just seems to me that a BPRV will just release boost and not let you build it? i would agree with zookie and think that the electrical type is better.

bigjoe, do you think it would problematic to have boost pressure blowing out of the valve?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea it just seems to me that a BPRV will just release boost and not let you build it? i would agree with zookie and think that the electrical type is better.

bigjoe, do you think it would problematic to have boost pressure blowing out of the valve?

Nope. I had my BPRV on for 6 years. No Problems at ALL.

Mine doesn't POP off at X lbs pressure, it slowly Bleeds off pressure while I'm building Boost (25+ lbs) but never lets the MAP sensor see enough pressure to send any Electronic Wizardry to the PCM.

I like mechanical stuff. I don't mess with the Whizo Stuff. (except of course my Programmer.. But IT talks the PCM into stuff, not Me;) :sly :D )

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i appreciate your input sir. I'm with ya on the mechanical bit. the more automated stuff gets, the more room there is for error. thanks again! :sweet

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use one that doesn't release boost pressure, but just regulates what boost pressure the MAP sees, like ITP's. ITP's is popular for that reason.

I'm also relatively sure the PCM doesn't consider it "overboost" until 22-25 psi, not 19. I may be wrong though.

Paul

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58