Boost Fooler or Boost Relief Valve?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd use one that doesn't release boost pressure, but just regulates what boost pressure the MAP sees, like ITP's. ITP's is popular for that reason.

I'm also relatively sure the PCM doesn't consider it "overboost" until 22-25 psi, not 19. I may be wrong though.

Paul

Kinda why I said 19ish. Every 7.3 MAP can be a bit different. This, more than stock boost thing can get to Rocket Science.. purdy quik. The term: Everything is Relevent.. applies.

JMO but, we need to look at the MAP Sensor And.. Waste-gate Actuator. You can trick the Map sensor into not seeing over-boost, but at WOT or a real heavy, lenthy demands, like Towing.. EXhaust gas pressures (negative pressure) can actually [help] Pull the waste-gate open.. IF the Actuator spring/rod has'nt been tightened, to compensate for that.

Most stock actuators can be tightened/adjusted Some, but not much. Some are not adjustable at all. (crimped)

I went with a Banks, Big Head Actuator, from a Site Vendor. Fully adjustable.

JRJ04

Reaction score
So are you talking about the wastegate now and not the MAP sensor? I'm still torn as to which one to go with. Regardless of which one I choose, installing one of these deals will keep me from beginning to defuel at 19ish pounds of boost right? Does the one from ITP install in the map line? I liked the one from dieselsite becuase it had a spot where I could put my boost gauge fitting in. Does the ITP one work this way too?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So are you talking about the wastegate now and not the MAP sensor?

Both.

I'm still torn as to which one to go with. Regardless of which one I choose, installing one of these deals will keep me from beginning to defuel at 19ish pounds of boost right?

No.

To get >EFECTIVE< additional boost you need to address BOTH.. a BPRV and the W/gate actuator adjustment (Capability)..Re; my comment on exhaust flow negative pressures.

The PCM won't go to "Defuel" unless it gets a signal from the MAP that Over-boost has been detected. The BPRV takes care of that.

Does the one from ITP install in the map line?

Most do

I liked the one from dieselsite becuase it had a spot where I could put my boost gauge fitting in.

Your Choice & Call

Does the ITP one work this way too?

Not sure

All of The Above is just based on my experience, Tweaking 7.3s. Others may agree or dis-agree. Somewhat Simply Put..also.

JRJ04

Reaction score
BigJoe, I really appreciate all the info you've given me. It sounds like both will work, but its really just a matter of preference as to which one I go with. That banks big head actuator is a little pricy, but thatll come down the road.

One last question...when I do get all of this on there, obviously I'll be watching my boost more carefully...how high should I let it get? I've heard stock heads can take 40lb. I dont think I can make that much, but what do you think is "safe?"

Thanks Again! :sweet

paulkeith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the one from ITP install in the map line? I liked the one from dieselsite becuase it had a spot where I could put my boost gauge fitting in. Does the ITP one work this way too?

ITP Diesel, L.L.C.

I think problem with some of those systems that relieve boost pressure while you have your gauge reading boost from the map line is that your gauge will never show more than what the relieve valve is set at....which I don't like.

Just get the AIH delete plug/boost fitting, and run the overboost annihilator. Your comp never sees overboost, you don't bleed pressure, and your gauge will always show you what your engine is getting.

Wastegate is a seperate issue. It may cause you to lose some drive pressure and therefore boost, but the point of the overboost annilhilator is to prevent the defueling and SES light.

edit: i think if you put a T fitting into the overboost annihiliator upstream from the regulator you'd still get a true boost pressure, and then not have to fool with the AIH delete/plug fitting

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigJoe, I really appreciate all the info you've given me.

No problem. That's what SDD is all about

It sounds like both will work, but its really just a matter of preference as to which one I go with. That banks big head actuator is a little pricy, but thatll come down the road.

I hear ya, It's your choice on all Mods and when, in relation to yer Cash Flow ;) .

One last question...when I do get all of this on there, obviously I'll be watching my boost more carefully...how high should I let it get? I've heard stock heads can take 40lb. I dont think I can make that much, but what do you think is "safe?"

Whats "Safe" (?), is a relative question, depending what you want from yer PSD. SAFE is what Ford/IH set it up for. IMO, 30 psi is about all the Garrett turbo was designed to make. >I< don't go beyond that, but my whole set-up is strictly for Towing. Again, your choice, your call

Thanks Again! :sweet

There are more components than just the "Heads" that won't take High, sustained boost pressures.

Everything comes Full Circle ? :) ;) :lmao

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
There are more components than just the "Heads" that won't take High, sustained boost pressures.

Everything comes Full Circle ? :) ;) :lmao

understandable...i just thought of a head gasket blowing from too much boost, but i def should concerned with just more than the head gaskets.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
no to de-rail a thread, but did anyone catch the article on "double overtime"?

160psi boost, 13 water meth nozzles, 7000RPMS, STOCK CRANKSHAFT?!?!

AWESOME!

scotty

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what if one installed a small air regulator from harbor freight @$4.99
set it at 20 psi and put it between manifold an map

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what if one installed a small air regulator from harbor freight @$4.99
set it at 20 psi and put it between manifold an map

One.. Could do that. Many do. I did.

But Some would rather just purchase a pre-assembled air regulator, cut the MAP line and simply install it.

One can also take a piece of plastic or metal tubing and twist drill a 1/16th hole in it. Using rubber tubing, splice it in, on the Actuator end of the Red line.... Also bleeds off some pressure.. building more boost. (the pre-historic boost builder upper, of say, 8-10 years ago ?:) ;) )

Back.. to them Choices one must make ?

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58