boost Gauge Issue

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am having a problem with my boost gauge. The gauge has been bouncing pretty bad the last week or so. When I start out just running slow it will bounce or vibrate around a few pounds, example it should read about 5 lbs but it bounces from 3 - 7 back and forth.
When I get on it good it bounces and vibrates bad. full throttle it will go from 5 - 25 lbs.
It feels and sounds like I still have good boost. I replaced all the hardware from the "T" in the map sensor line with a heavy brass one. I installed a Sunpro brass line replacing the cheapee plastic one. all new fittings.
I blew air into the "T" to see if I could hear a leak in the system, nothing.
I blew restricted air from my compressor through the brass line and the gauge held steady at about 15 pounds.
I was towing a trailer last week (a heavy duty car trailer but empty) and the CEL came on and when I scanned it I got a p0401 which I figured was caused by a small boost leak.
Two things I am thinking may be wrong:
(1) Boost gauge is bad and is leaking a little
(2) EGR valve needs to be cleaned or maybe replaced? I know the p0401 is associated with the EGR, could that cause the fluctuating boost?
The truck is at 61,000 miles now with the original EGR, I have cleaned it twice with the last being about 5,000 - 8,000 miles ago.
I cleared the CEL on Friday and it has not returned.
I will add that all the new stuff I installed made the gauge vibrate and bounce a little less.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for cleaning the EGR system as being the next step Kevin ?

Joe

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, I have a gasket laying around somewhere that I picked up last time I was at the dealer just to have on hand.

Red, your EGR looks brand new compared to the way mine looked the last time I cleaned mine. Is that a before or after photo?
I will post a photo of mine before I clean for inquiring minds.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cleaned the EGR, it was dirty!! lots of oily soot. I may have to do the CCV mod to try to cut down the sticky soot.
Good news: clean EGR with new gaskets and o-rings.
Bad news: gauge still bounces, may be time to try a new gauge. I am going to drive it for the week to see if the CEL comes on again. everything sounds and feels good though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58