Boost Tube Leaks?

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was riding in my truck with a friend the other day, and under acceleration he said his sounded a bit different, I might have a boost leak. I have thought this before, but could never find a leak.

Today I took the air filter out and used some pipe fittings to create a fitting with a gauge and a air chuck to go on the boot leading to the turbo. It will hold pressure, and I don't hear or feel anything leaking anywhere. I can't get a pressure to show up on the gauge though. I checked the gauge and it works properly. It's a large low pressure gauge, so any movement should be easy to notice. If I pull the plug out it's definitely got pressure behind it. If I leave it in for 15 minutes and remove it there's no air pressure behind it.

I took my boots off once and cleaned them last time I looked for a leak (few months). Now they are oily on the outside again. What's causing this. both upper and lower boots are greasy/oily. The tube between them is pretty clean.

AK HDM

Reaction score
There is going to be some oil in the tubes as the crankcase vent is on the inlet side of the turbo,so oil gets sent through the system. It then soaks through the boots & comes out at the joints also.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Does your boots have any hairline cracks or holes that could be letting the oil seep thru?

I am having this problem with my boots, they have some very small straight cuts from the clamps.

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
The CCV mod should solve the problem with the oil in the boots, boost tubes, and intercooler. I'm hoping to do mine this weekend, we'll see.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they make a CCV mod for the 6.0L? Buddy has one and was having the same problem and I told him that is was the CCV but didn't know if they had a mod for it or how he could fix the problem.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put a 4 inch MBRP exhaust on it this week. No more kitty, just the MBRP muffler. Rolled edge tip (free, not by choice). There's some oily residue inside the tip today. Not sure if it was there yesterday. Where is it coming from? I went on a 1-1/2 hour ride yesterday afternoon, and today I never really got it up to operating temps, the farthest I drove was 3/4 mile. Does getting it up to temp get burn the stuff off, and when it stays cold it accumulates? I have yet to check the converter to see if it was dirty on the input side, maybe it's always been doing it but catching it there and in the muffler.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14