Boot blow off

Tbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a question just wondering the old diesel trucks had a drop hose for engine crank pressure. couldn't you just take that out of the turbo system and place it in a down turn under the truck. would that help prevent the boot from blowing off?:dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The boat coming off is due to excessive pressure or a combination of oil in the intake tract and pressure that blows the hose off.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question just wondering the old diesel trucks had a drop hose for engine crank pressure. couldn't you just take that out of the turbo system and place it in a down turn under the truck. would that help prevent the boot from blowing off?:dunno

Yes they Did, and Yes you could.. but yul have a Hellofa Smell, and Spots/Puddles under your truck.. where ever you park/stop.

Some have redirected the CCV into the exhaust, some have re-routed the CCV with a catch can.. somewhere.

The popular fix is: Take the boots off and clean them up Real Good, with Brake Free.. or the like.. Re-install them.. using Hair Spray.. as a Sealant/Adhesive.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
When I had my 7.3, I experienced the dreaded connector boot blow off a couple of times. I blamed it on the oil from the CCV vent tube getting into the intake, getting the tubes all slimey and causing the connector boots to loose their grip on the tube.

After the 2nd time, I removed the connector boots from the tubes and cleaned them up real good with some degreaser/engine cleaner. Then using a pliers, I CAREFULLY bent the end of the tube outward, in effect putting a very slight flair on the end of the tube. That helped to keep the boot and clamp from coming off the tube. Oh did I mention, I double clamped the boots too?

Then I did the CCV mod previously mention above. So by doing the cleaning I did the fix. By doing the CCV mod and flairing the tube, I added a dose of prevention to keep it from occuring again.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a question just wondering the old diesel trucks had a drop hose for engine crank [pressure]. couldn't you just take that out of the turbo system and place it in a down turn under the truck. would that help prevent the boot from blowing off?:dunno

Just to clarify ?.. It isn't the CCV [Pressures] that cause Boot Blow Offs.. It's the oil in the CCV vapors that collects.. Post turbo.. in the charge tubes (like TG sez: creating Slime).. then Turbo Boost Pressure.. causes boot blow offs.

Maybe minor but.. :dunno

Tbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes that is true the pressure is what blows it off i was just thinking the added oil in the system work it way under the boots from expantion and contration of the turbo pressure this make the surface slick and the boots blow off. thanks for the info i here a slight whisle from mine turbo i think i have a small leak i will look at the boots mentioned above. :)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes that is true the pressure is what blows it off i was just thinking the added oil in the system work it way under the boots from expantion and contration of the turbo pressure this make the surface slick and the boots blow off. thanks for the info i here a slight whisle from mine turbo i think i have a small leak i will look at the boots mentioned above. :)

;tu

Tell us about your truck ? Any Mods ? Gauges ?

Go the the Quick Links, above right. Then go to.. Edit Signature. Then fill out any pertinent info about yer PSD ?

Sure helps us help one another :)

Tbone

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
ok is that better i hope it all show pic. and info. any one have a good pic. of an o4 6.0 with a fuel gauge for testing under the hood so i can see exactly where to tap into thanks. :cool:

2 Stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok is that better i hope it all show pic. and info. any one have a good pic. of an o4 6.0 with a fuel gauge for testing under the hood so i can see exactly where to tap into thanks. :cool:
This is what i got for the fuel pressure gauge, it goes into the test port, this is a cool set up gets the sender away from the heat and viberation of the motor.
Page 30: Fuel Supply System

6.0L Fuel Pressure Adapter

Column Pod
1 Gauge Column Pod (AT)
Autometer Fuel Pressure gauge---Bottom Left (This matches my Dash gauges)
Phantom II Gauges
2 stroker

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58