Bought another 7.3 to add to the family.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well my girlfriend just bought an early 99 F250 supeduty. The exact same truck body wise except black with a lil lift and diff wheels. Really straight truck, no rust or major body imperfections. Its a lariat too. The front right wheel assembly is messed up though. That huge axle seal is bad and the dust seal that goes inside the axle tube is also bad. There is front end oil comin out of the axle tube. I can move the whole u-joint around. It does have manual warn lockouts on it too. I've learned so far that the front wheel bearing assemblies and rotors are diff. What other things are diff? I think I heard some parts of the engine are diff too? Anything I need to look into on the early trucks compared to the late 99's? :hail

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your brake rotors need replacing then now would be a good time to "upgrade" to the later model stuff as it runs a bit cheaper.

The turbo, intake & injectors are different also.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
If your brake rotors need replacing then now would be a good time to "upgrade" to the later model stuff as it runs a bit cheaper.

The turbo, intake & injectors are different also.

So far the brake rotors look great still. Could you put the later model stuff on the early models like the injectors, turbo? The intake has a crappy k&n thats on it now but we will be puttin the DIY intake on it asap. Dont know how long its been on there though. Its pretty nasty.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes it will all swap, though often it is not just a single component but a component system that will need to be swapped.

the turbo for example, the outlet is in a different position so the I/C pipes do not line up just right, the intake plenums are smaller but the larger plenums will bolt on.

Tail Gunner is the resident expert on the early '99 differences though he's pretty much made his a late '99 over the years.

the injectors will swap but for benefit you'll need different programming.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
yes it will all swap, though often it is not just a single component but a component system that will need to be swapped.

the turbo for example, the outlet is in a different position so the I/C pipes do not line up just right, the intake plenums are smaller but the larger plenums will bolt on.

Tail Gunner is the resident expert on the early '99 differences though he's pretty much made his a late '99 over the years.

the injectors will swap but for benefit you'll need different programming.

Ok gotcha. I assume all the later model 7.3 stuff is better than the early yr 7.3's? If we ever did injectors I would just put the single shots on it with a chip or somethin. I know thats what I will do to mine eventually.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the later stuff supports more power from the factory, better or worse is in many cases in the eye of the beholder, so I"ll let you be the judge there. It's little things that all add up and give you more power stock, however the early '99s aren't horrible to start with, just figure out up front where you want to go power wise and it might add a few obstacles but nothing too difficult

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
mmmm.. turbo is different, probably the baby's butt too.. intake splitter.. downpipe..

hubs and rotors different...

I think they changed the badge, too.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Ok pulled the rear rotors off and calipers. One rotor can probably be turned. The other is junk. Also the caliper is junk. Can you put the late 99 rear brake stuff on the early 99's? I do see the later stuff is cheaper than the earlier stuff.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ok pulled the rear rotors off and calipers. One rotor can probably be turned. The other is junk. Also the caliper is junk. Can you put the late 99 rear brake stuff on the early 99's? I do see the later stuff is cheaper than the earlier stuff.

the offset of the caliper bridge is different.

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
I have a e99 dually and put AD injectors in it. I did the entire set, as mixing AB's and AD's is a no-no. the e99 turbo may have a smaller outlet, but there's no turbo surge to worry about with it. Mine makes plenty of boost. The PO of my truck put the later style bearings and rotor on the driver's side. He figured he would upgrade the right side, when the time came. When I bought the truck, he gave me the updated rotor for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14