brake caliper and rotor destroyed

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 2006 F250 diesel Lariat model. I have put 46,000 miles on the truck and have been happy with the truck until now. While going to the movies Friday night I heard a grinding while stopping at a light. Saturday morning I went and bought brake pads assuming the 3 yr. 36,000 mile warranty was up. I took the right rear tire off and removed the caliper. The front of the brake pad (touching the front surface of the rotor) was fine and no grooves felt. When I removed the back brake pad I knew where the grinding was coming from. There are two cylinders within the caliper. One cylinder was a good inch distance out further than the other. This caused the back pad to be slanted and causing uneven wear on the brake pad. Well as you can imagine it ground about a .25 inch groove into the rotor. I have called around and nobody has a rotor including the Ford dealership. I called the dealership to order the rotor and caliper and after talking to the parts guy he stated he thought it should be under warranty. Come to find out Ford extended my bumper to bumper warranty to 72 months 60,000 miles. So now it is over at the dealership. A little concerned though because when I talked to the service writer he stated that if there is any aftermarket parts on the truck this will void the warranty. We shall see.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats unfortunate...but as they say if its mechanical it WILL wear out or
brake....sorry you had to experiance the stuck piston...nice to see you
guys w/ the NEWER/LONGER warranty is working out.

i THINK beginning in 05 or 06 they extended the warranty to be 5/100k
on the power train...where before after the 3/36 you were only covered on
the engine (by the 5/100)

dmcvey_1999

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update to the rotor fiasco. Just left the dealership they are going to cover the rotor and caliper under warranty. Here is the hilarious part. They are going to replace the brake pad on the passenger side rear only. I asked what about the drivers side? They stated brakes are only 12 month 12,000 miles. I stated the rear wore out faster than normal due to the failed caliper. They said no. So now I will buy a set of brake pads to replace the rear left side only. lol. Oh and by the way with the 100 dollar deductible it is costing me more to have them do it with the rental car expense than if I did it myself. Last time they get my truck period!!

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we ALL understand your frustration...and I dont blame you for one
second....im glad theyre covering the repair (at least in part).

i gotta say i think this is whats wrong w/ ALOT of companies today...
they live and die by their "policy" rules...rather than doin' the OBVIOUSLY
RIGHT thing.

welcome to the SDD forum...stick around, come back often...LOTS of
great folks here and we'll see do it <if we can> that your dealer NEVER
sees the truck again.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SDD.com. Please tell us where you are from and maybe none of us will be stopping by to see your fine dealer. Sounds like "policy" rules" over common sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl