Brake Change Question.

duffy1298

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought an 05 f250 and am just kinda tuning it up. new brakes are a must. Just curious as to whether or not I should replace my rotors or not. I keep reading about everyone saying they just replace their rotors instead of cut them. The grooving seems minimal and I haven't measured their thickness yet, but they seem fine.
So question #1: Is it necessary to replace rotors every brake job? (God I hope not)
#2: I cant find a single person that says they bleed their brakes after they're done. Is it un-necessary if you just open the cap on the master cylinder and depress your pistons slowly?
I appreciate anyone that'd like to help cure my ignorance. Thank You.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you don't open the hydraulic system, then you do not need to bleed them. If you add brake fluid you do not need to bleed them. I only change the rotors when they are warn down to nothing. In my next rotor change I am going to use Frozen Rotors. They are frozen in Liquid Nitrogen to make them almost indestructible. They stop better too. High Performance Brake Pads and Brake Rotors - Frozen Rotors is one company.

Dave :)

sbiggi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Brake fluid is what, like $15 for a decent fluid? I'd flush it out if you dont know that last time it was done.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
I changed my brake pads like 3 times before I put on new rotors. Never got them cut and they never warped. But the groves only got worse. So I just bought TOP OF THE LINE napa rotors and they warped like a mother trucker, and still are. I bleed my brakes every year in my truck. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from/through the hoses and the moisture sits in the fluid caroding and rusting your brake parts and lines. So no you dont have to bleed them when you do a brake job, but just get ready to start changing out parts and brake lines later instead. IMO its insainly easy to bleed brakes. I bleed my race car brakes twice in a event day and right before the event itself. Yes its for a different reason but still easy. My gf is pretty good at the pedal rhythm now. I second the frozen rotors since I have never heard one complaint except the price.

duffy1298

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
well guys. my new brakes are on. ford pads and i cut the rotors. very very minimal cutting was needed for my rotors to be nice and smooth. i very much appreciate the advice as i am BRAND NEW to these forums. ill be buying those frozen rotors as necessary. i love my superduty and am glad to be a part of the brotherhood. take care

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58