Brake controler

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bush!

I have a question? I just installed a trailer brake controller, I wired it to the factory plug that comes in the glove box, I done this on my 2000 that I had and it worked fine.
This one doesnt work, I was under the hood looking and found what looks like the wires for the trailer brakes factory cut and taped to the harness above the left fender well on the firewall.
What could be missing here?
P.S anyone can answer this, I just wanted to see how long it took Bush to answer.:notworthy:hail

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I suspect the wires you found under the hood, are the factory pass through wires, if so they are blunt cut on the other end under the dash, up behind the fuse panel above the parking brake. They were put there to help facilitate the installation of aftermarket accessories. I believe the place to plug in the brake control harness is also under the dash, but over the top of the transmission hump, someone else I'm sure can varify it's exact location, and there's pictures floating around here somewhere.

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found the factory plug above the tranny hump, That is where I pluged the controler in. This worked on my 2000 model.
Just wondering if the factory made a change in something.
I also found the end under the dash that is the end of the wires outside also.

Thanks Kean

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Check the fuses? You have a secondary bank under the mains. Not sure if this helps. What about the connections to the contoller unit? Sure everything is hooked up properly? Solder and shrink tubing, not just gummy tape? Those wires can be easy to cross. Take another look. I used the unit out of my 01 on my 04 and it was plug and play.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry would have answered earlier but ive been
w/ customers all day and had flights back home to catch.

same plug i used for my brake controller...you sure
you have the wires from the brake controller to the
pig-tail plug connected properly ?

nick answered the questions about the blunt cut
wires

whats the brake controller doing that makes you
think its not working ?

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I havent pulled but one trailer recently, But it is the same trailer I pulled with my 2000, and the same controller, I just plugged it in under the dash to the factory plug.

I hooked the trailer up and didnt try the brakes by hand. after I got started didnt really need the brakes or notice them not working til I got loaded.
When the trailer pushed me through a red light is when I noticed.

I manually checked the trailer brakes on the controller, nothing at all.
I will check all the wires when I get back in a few days. Havent been home to do so.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Being pushed thru a light will get your attention. Having one stop on about a 45 degree angle next to you usually requires a change of drawers. It can happen. :rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14