brake controller

the cable guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
My new 06 250 has the built in brake controller. I have always used the conventional style which you self adjust depending on speed and conditions.
The new one adjusts depending on how hard you apply the brakes but it has a gain control to adjust the maximum braking applied during full braking.. Im not sure how much gain to use. I had the trailer connected and was testing it out but I could not feel the trailer brakes kick in..

any thoughts the owners manual is very vague

thanks wayne

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
the cable guy said:
I had the trailer connected and was testing it out but I could not feel the trailer brakes kick in.
You sure the wiring between the truck and trailer is correct and that the trailer brakes are good?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well, the correct answer is-

adjust the gain up untill you feel the trailer grab the back of the truck

then back it down just enough that the dragging sensation is gone...

the truck and trailer brakes should work in harmony... too high of a gain could cause the trailer tires to lock up, resulting in a loss of control though a skid; too light of an application and you could loose control as you stop as the trailer tries to pass the tow vehicle...

that being said, I have a conventional controller, and I like the trailer brakes just a wee bit "touchy" so I don't have to go fumbling for the panic brake in the event of an out of control sway; Or, if I'm hauling an ornery horse, a couple of light taps on the brakes makes them think they're going down on their nose, and they don't jump around in the trailer, causing the out of control sway to begin with..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14