Brake Flush

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. I want to flush my brakes on my 250 and my suburban. With ABS brakes I was told the best way is to gravity flush them. Slower I know but no chance of compressing air into the fluid. My question is, would it be harmfull to leave the engines running while I do this? IF it flows faster, I have never done this before, my only concern would be making sure the reservoir remained filled correct? Any one else done this before?

Also whats the best brake fluid to use?

Red Monkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would one want to leave the engine running? Having the truck running won't make the job go any faster. I flushed my brake system a couple of months ago and never even considered using the "gravity flush" method, it takes WAY to L O N G!!!!
Too get started you will need the following:
Get a quart of quality brake fluid, any brand of automotive Dot 3 fluid will do.
Get about 2 feet of clear tubing that will fit snuggly over the brake caliper bleed nipple. Get a empty container to catch the old fluid as it is pumped out, I use an empty 16 oz. water container.
Get the proper sized wrench to fit the caliper nipple, us a line wrench to insure you won't strip it.
Get something to suck the old brake fluid out of the reservoir, I use a 60cc medical syringe with a section of plastic tubing fixed to the end.
You will need a helper to make this a little easier.
1. suck all of the old fluid out of the MC reservior and fill with new fluid
2. go to left rear and break open the caliper nipple a little and snug it up so it doesn't leak, attatch the 2 ft. section of tubing and insert the end into your 'catch container'
3. have your friend slowly depress the brake peddle and at the same time you loosen the caliper nipple. Marvle at the black soup that is slowly flowing into your catch container. When your friends foot it on the floor close the caliper nipple.
4. continue this until the fluid in the line is new and clear. Make sure your reservoir stays full while doing this.
5. next is the right rear, right front and last left front.
6. check for a good FIRM brake peddle. If not then have your buddy pump the peddle and go aroud and re-bleed each caliper.

This isn't rocket science, just take your time making sure you don't introduce air into the system.
Good luck with your project.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had to do it alone so,,,,,,,,,,,,,, new brake fluid and a 6-pack later all done. Damm what a difference!

I had all day to do it anyway. :lmao

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58