Question Brake lights just quit working.......

1maleyaj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
So I got in my truck, a 99 F250 Diesel, to drive home last night, and realized the brake lights were not working at all. The tail lights work, but when you hit the brake pedal, nothing happens.

I checked the fuse under the steering column(I believe the second one down in the middle row, but can't remember for sure), and it is good.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem, and could point me in the right direction as far as what else to check. I know it isn't the bulb(s), because all three are out, and the tail lights still work.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Anthony

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I got in my truck, a 99 F250 Diesel, to drive home last night, and realized the brake lights were not working at all. The tail lights work, but when you hit the brake pedal, nothing happens.

I checked the fuse under the steering column(I believe the second one down in the middle row, but can't remember for sure), and it is good.

I was just wondering if anyone had a similar problem, and could point me in the right direction as far as what else to check. I know it isn't the bulb(s), because all three are out, and the tail lights still work.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Anthony

Check yer Brake light switch assembly on the top of the brake pedal arm. Being a 99, maybe it's jus tard'n wore out ?

Look it over, yul see it's not a hard fix to just replace it :dunno

1maleyaj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just checked it, and I'm not really sure to tell how it is bad. It is still plugged in, and clicks when the pedal is pushed.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks. Just checked it, and I'm not really sure to tell how it is bad. It is still plugged in, and clicks when the pedal is pushed.

you need to get a test light (even an Auto Zone cheapie) and check it for power on both sides of the switch..

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Did your ABS light start to blink. Mine did that after I had me foot on the brake for 10 mins. (don't ask) I had no brake lights, but still had tail lights.

1maleyaj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
you need to get a test light (even an Auto Zone cheapie) and check it for power on both sides of the switch..

When unplugged, the middle (#3) part of the plug is getting power. I put a new brake switch in and still no luck.

Did your ABS light start to blink. Mine did that after I had me foot on the brake for 10 mins. (don't ask) I had no brake lights, but still had tail lights.

I don't think it is blinking, but I can't say that for sure. As soon as I get back in the truck I will look and see.

1maleyaj

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well, I replaced the brake switch, and that didn't fix it. It turns out my fuse box is messed up. There is power going in, but none going out. One of the boards inside fried.

Anthony

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14