Brake R/R on Dual Rear Wheels

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am needing to do a R/R on my Dually rear end. The springs are bad on one side so I need to replace springs on both sides as well as shoes. What about cylinders as well? Any special tools needed for this job? I have never done a rear brake job, how complicated is it? Is there a WIKI or something similar? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
its easy.pull the wheels and pull the drum off.dont need to remove the axles.make sure you put the shoes back on the right way.look at the old ones before you remove them,you should have 1 long and 1 short lineing,make sure the new shoes go on the same way.you may need to replace the seladjuster cable also.you need to remove the stud that has the E brake lever attached to it on the top of the backing plate.there is a small nut on the opposite side of the stud.i thinks its a 10MM.

if the cylinders arent leaking leave them alone.also look to see if anything is wet or greasy.if its wet or greasy see what it smells like.if its smells like brake fluid then you need a cylinder if its think and seriously nasty smelling(enough to make you puke)then you need the hub seals.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I would like to add that it helps to do one side at a time. If you forget just where something goes or how it goes you can look at the other side that is together and figure it out.

threejacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These replies seem fairly simple. I was told that the self adjustment on these model trucks can be a real PITA and I didn't want to get into something that I didn't know anything about. Thanks

94f450sd,
Looks like we are running about the same on years and miles. Mine will roll over to 340,000 this week.

Patrick Feeley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The self-adjustment can be a PITA, but not in terms of complexity (fairly simple assembly-wise) only in operation (which doesn't seem to work all that well in my case). Maybe I don't back up enough. Anyway, I usually end up adjusting the rear brakes manually. I think that when many folks do adjust them manually, they mess it up by not pushing the self adjusting arm off the star wheel when loosening the pad adjustment. The way the arm works is that the star wheel will ratchet on the arm when tightening the pad adjustment, but will catch it in the other direction (which if you force it, it will mess it up). If you have a digital camera, take a shot of the components with the drum removed for reference during reassembly. Cheers!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14