Question Brake spongey

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I tried to get the pins today with no luck. I can't take it apart until I have the stuff to fix it. So I am going to hit the dealership tomorrow and try to have it in the shop tomorrow night.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well I tried to get the pins today with no luck. I can't take it apart until I have the stuff to fix it. So I am going to hit the dealership tomorrow and try to have it in the shop tomorrow night.

dude, just break down and get a reman "friction ready" caliper..
should come with the bridge and all necessary hardware.. unbolt the old ones, slap pads in the new ones, bolt them on, go to truckin'...

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
not seeing any difference. last time I "honed" out the pin holes the truck stopped better than ever but for only a few weeks. are you saying this caliper fixes the ****ty pin design?? or is it just a remain one.

Last edited:

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Rio, check the pins for sure. Clean them and the holes the best you can and reassemble with a little grease or anti sieze. One telltale sign that they are problematic is if the pads are not wearing evenly (on the same caliper).

Also, you can get an internal leak in the brake master where the fluid can leak past the front brake piston, essentially back into the resivoir (sp.?) It is not a bad idea to flush the brake fluid as is will absorb moisture but it is not likely to cause the brake issues you describe, unless there is air in the system.

Last edited:

Rio_Grande

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had to order new calipers and bracket, both fronts are stuck to the outside so the inside pad is having to travel all the way out to contact the pad, or that is my best guess. I can feel the seperation of the pad and rotor.

So monday the parts will be in and I will swap everything out for all new parts...
Thanks for the input.. We will see if this fixes it.

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sounds like you probably have it nailed down. Be sure to get fresh fluid in the system since you got new calipers. May not be a bad idea to pull the pins out before you mount the calipers and make sure they have some lube on em'.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14