brakes dragging

aaklingler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 96 the front brakes seem to be dragging, When I jack the front end up it seems hard to spin the tire. Anybody have any ideas for what might be wrong?

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
How old are the rubber lines. Really old rubber lines can collaps internally preventing the fluid from returning. ;tu

Caliper slides may need to be cleaned and greased. ;tu

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
what speeder said, plus check the wheel bearing play. if the wheel is falling off, the only thing holding it on is the caliper, so the brakes will be dragging.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
If the calipers are sticking, I would ditch gthe rebuilding and just replace them with aftermarket parts. It's way easier and you get a warranty. one obvious way to tell if a caliper is dragging is to check both sides, if one wheel rools easier than the other, then squeeze the piston back as mentioned earlier, and try again. If they now spin the same, you got a bad caliper on the "slow" side

aaklingler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you tell if the rubber lines are bad? The pads were about new in March when I looked at them and they seems to be wearing evenly. When I had the truck jacked up I Pushed the brake pedal in and lifted and the wheels immediately went back to spinning like they had been. I need to pull the wheels and look around.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a problem with the guide pins. They rusted on one side witch caused the truck to pull hard right when braking. But it was nothing the torch could not fix and about an hour.......LOL

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are your pads worn excessively for your driving style & mileage driven since march? What kind of pad did you put on the truck?

Hard to turn wheels can be brakes dragging or wheel bearings that are not lubed good or the retaining nut is too tight.

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something came to mind here. If your pads are dragging bad your going to have one really hot rim and hub, plus all the grease your going to cook in the in there. That extra heat has to go somewhere.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14