Brakes locked up...

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an interesting experience Saturday afternoon... I was driving along, and I noticed the truck pulling to the right. Didn't think much of it. Wasn't dogging it at all, ran fine. Then I start hearing something that sounded like a wheel bearing, but on the left side of the vehicle, slowed down just a little, it went away. I was in traffic about 35-40 mph. no biggie. I stop for the red light FWOOSH!! big cloud of blue grey smoke coming from the passenger front wheel well. I'm in the middle of three lanes of traffic, I about plow this rice burner in front of me, hop a curb and some grass, and beach it in the middle of a parking lot looking for water or snow to toss at it.

I whacked the caliper a couple times with a big wrench I keep in the back, and it was still tight, so I did a couple of hard (pedal to the floor) forward and reverse braking attempts and it seemed a little better.

Got to my destination, and the rim and hub were so hot I couldn't keep my hands on it. I tossed some snow at the caliper and the stench of cat urine about knocked me over! :dizzy

The only thing I can think of is I have a cat, and there is a stray around that like to mark that tire, as evidence on the rim. (Time for a lead enema) I hadn't driven the truck in a couple weeks. Think the urine slightly corroded the sliders or gumed them up? I haven't taken it apart yet to see. After it cooled down, I drove for a long while, now beating on it a bit, and it never skipped a beat. Currently has 40k miles on it. Thoughts? :dunno

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Probably sliders are snotted up. When did you do brakes last [if ever]? As for the stray, a have- a- heart trap would work wonders. Those stories about cats finding their way back from 20-30 miles away aren't true. :innocent

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the caliper pistons too.
i think id be lookin at the run out on that rotor now too...
probably warped...easy enough to replace on that model year.

you could even have some fractures in the brake rotor from the heat.

also consider tossing in some new grease on the needle bearings
and give a good look @ the brake pads...they may have cracked
from the heat.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, At the very least I plan on repacking the hub. I've never changed the brakes on this yet, they have all kinds of life left... well they did anyway...

I'm just astounded this happened with only 40k on the clock. I'm quite pissed actually. That's why I'm leaning to a fur ball problem. I'll tear it apart and see what's going on in there, then drive it for a while and see what's up.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, At the very least I plan on repacking the hub. I've never changed the brakes on this yet, they have all kinds of life left... well they did anyway...

I'm just astounded this happened with only 40k on the clock. I'm quite pissed actually. That's why I'm leaning to a fur ball problem. I'll tear it apart and see what's going on in there, then drive it for a while and see what's up.

Don't these trucks have sealed front wheel bearings? :confused:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't these trucks have sealed front wheel bearings? :confused:

the 4x4 trucks have a needle bearing hub...doesnt mean you
cant stuff some grease in there...specially if its gotten HOT (and melted)

if the manufacture says "non user servicable or life time serviced part" ALARMS should go off ;)

hey things happen...and god knows w/ your weather (combined w/ SALT)
no one would be surprised that a slide pin (or two) or a piston was stuck

Last edited:

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but at 40K there shouldn't be an ounce of wear on those pistons... if there is, it's going through the dealership window. I'm sorry, that's BS.

Salt, pee, moisture... yeah, it's a wonderful life...

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Bush, the bearing and hub is one piece, non-servicable. I saw mine with my own peepers when my truck was in for ball joints. Not second guessing you, but I can't see how you would grease the things. I believe the entire unit bolts into the spindle. And then again maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. That happens too. :lmao

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush, the bearing and hub is one piece, non-servicable. I saw mine with my own peepers when my truck was in for ball joints. Not second guessing you, but I can't see how you would grease the things. I believe the entire unit bolts into the spindle. And then again maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about. That happens too. :lmao

actually thats not true...the needle bearings are available *and* plenty
have replaced 'em....even at that you can still check 'em and you
can STILL run a little grease in there w/ your fingers, if the needles are ok.

With the hub off, we expose what this entire exercise has been about, the needle bearings,
yep those non-serviceable, non-existent bearings that the dealerships apparently have no knowledge of.....
If your needle bearing looks worn, you should replace it with a new bearing (Ford-C6TZ-3123A NAPA-B2110)

Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

KLEETUS - this might help you ----

Welcome to guzzle's Front Caliper Slide Pin Upgrade Web Page

I would HOPE you dont need the slide pin upgrade but its a good
ref. just the same (color / material and service wise)

Last edited:

atk

Reaction score
yes the needle bearing is servicable and replaceable but thats it....the main bearing unit is not...like Bush said, little bit of a good quality grease on the needle bearings is a good idea....

i was told by the Ford dealer, that evey 20000k, the brake pins should be cleaned and regreased with a silicone based greased...hope this helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58