Brakes seem weak

John

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I am currently on my 2nd F-250 SD my 1st was a '99 7.3 and I would still be driving it if it hadn't rotted away ( a bit of blame on me for lack of care). But on to my problem. My current SD is an 08 6.4 F-250 and the brakes are lacking in my opinion. Quite a bit of effort at the pedal is necessary to stop on all occasions, my 99 stopped way better. As far as I can tell all 4 calipers are working as they should, and the pads are not worn out.
Any tips to check or recommendations for different pads or things to check are welcomed. The truck is a daily commuter for work and a semi-regular firewood hauler.
About the only place I have to start is an occasional lack of braking and steering when slowing. Sporadically with no warning I will have to hit the throttle when braking or coasting through a turn as it feel like the PS pump just quits. Would a weak/bad pump be my issue?
Thanks for any and all suggestions.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your brakes are powered by the power steering pump, or hydroboost, and of course the power steering. I would look at the steering pump.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on what Dave said.

Could be just low on PS fluid or... going south on ya.

Not pricey to replace but you might try.. warm it up, check the fluid level.. the turn the steering wheel FULL left & right 'til it squeals, bump it acoupla times.. each direction. re-check the fluid level. Add if needed. Doing that might purge any air from the system.. from a low fluid issue.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58