Brakes

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Ive been noting that on start up things are fine but as soon as I apply the brakes after rolling out of the drive way on to the road I will hear and feel a clunk from the rear axle and you can feel the brakes start to drag, eventually it will undo its self but Ive noticed Miliage going down because of this.. I was wanting to inspect my brakes this weekend but I had to work so I never got a chance.. Any Ideas, Normal, Messed up, or is this what happens when the brakes are going bad? I dont know when the brakes were changed because Ive only had the truck since March.. 97 F-350 PSD CC Dually 2wd auto

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
sounds like the rear shoes are sticking/binding from sitting all night, does it do it if you leave the parking brake off at night?
or only when the brake has been set all night
I would pop the drum off and take a look see
shoes could be worn out and getting bound or stuck.
how many miles since they were changed or do you know, since you havent had it that long

those rear shoes were famous for not adjusting them selves and gettign cocked, if the slop got to great

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
I dont use the parking brake, It does work though.. I accually happens every single time that I start it up.. Dont know about the pads, I will look at them somthime this week.. Its been doing it for a week now

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hows the braking effort, does it feel like the front is doing all the work??
if so i bet they are worn out or severly out of adjustment

no parking brake use ? :D

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if its not pulling left or right thenthay are prob. sticking and need adjust or replacement.

keep us posted,

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
Can do, I will be getting into them this weekend, thank God I have an engine hoist to pull the tires off.. LOLOL...

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Robert is right the shoes are prob sticking. they more than likely have gotten crystalized and you've got heavy deposits of brake dust inside the drum. When you service the rear brakes make sure to check the hardware & replace as required.

Use of the parking brake is vital to ensuring that the rear drums stay in adjustment.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
its part of the adjuster spring clock works, backing up and stepping on pedal harshly will cause the shoes to rotate slightly, within their hold down pins, which trips the lever to adjust the starwheel that lenghtens the rod between the shoes and keeps them adjusted, the parking brake also acts in a limited capacity to do the same thing, when you apply the parking brake the effect is similiar to stopping quick in reverse, if while sitting the trucks want to roll backwards vice forwards, although i have found it not near as effective as the backing up about 20 feet briskly and stepping hard on the brake to stop

problems arise from not doing this about once a month, the book say they will do it auotmatically just backing up, but thats very optimistic, some do very well and others dont at all,
depends on dirt grime and mud you get in the rear drum.
clear as mud right :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14