Announcement Brand new Ford owner!

zax317

Diesel Virgin
Reaction score
I just bought not only my first 7.3, but first Ford. Specs are: 1999 F 350, 7.3L Turbo Diesel, Dually, Crew Cab, Automatic, 4x2, 88,000 miles (yes, that is 88K!). 14 years old averaging around 7K/year. It cost me $8,000. We just had a service check and only had to replace a rear pinion seal, alignment, two batteries and camber adjustment. The mechanic did a oil check and said that was the cleanest oil he has ever seen, almost like it was straight out of the bottle. We took it to Christian Brothers Automotive. Total, we spent $1,800. Also, we had to replace all 6 tires, $1,200, because the tires which were on there were 9 years old! I bought this truck from an elder person who only towed a race car here and there. He bought this truck brand new in 1998. This is a Regency...not too familiar with this package.

Where do I start? I really want to increase my fuel economy. What are some things to do???

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zach

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Zach and Welcome to SSD.com. Sounds like a great find, be carefull, someone will
be glad to pay you what you have in that truck.
Hope you can post up some pictures of your new to you truck. We have a few guys here
that know the 7.3's well.
Doug

zax317

Diesel Virgin
Reaction score
I will be having pictures coming rather soon. I can't wait to learn about this 7.3L. My goal at the moment is fuel economy. I just met a guy that has a 2002 7.3L Excursion that gets 21 mpg.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep.. welcome aboard Zax ;tu;tu

a 99 with only 88K on it is a Hellofa find. Dang good, tried & true dezel motor.
Lotsa simple "Surface mods" available to ya too. Things that can be done with just a good tool box fulla common tools.

Joe

Last edited:

zax317

Diesel Virgin
Reaction score
Yep.. welcome aboard Zax ;tu;tu

a 99 with only 88K on it is a Hellofa find. Dang good, tried & true dezel motor.
Lotsa simple "Surface mods" available to ya too. Things that can be done with just a good tool box fulla common tools.

Joe
What are some surface mods that I can do. I am ignorant of anything that can be done. I am very handy with tools, though.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are some surface mods that I can do. I am ignorant of anything that can be done. I am very handy with tools, though.

Just take a look at the "Signatures" of us 7.3 guyz. Then go to the SDD DIY/Wiki and read up on'm, and post any questions you may have.

The Basics of it all is to open the 7.3 Up.. and let it Breath better.. In & out. Then, eliminate or improve on some of the Fuel related things.

A few "Tunes", from a Programmer/Chip can make you Grin too. :sly

All the mods you see in mine were done at home, Over the Fenders/Under the hood...

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would like to add that an air filter kit is generally a good place to start, just avoid K&N filters. They do not filter very well. AFE is good as are most of the others. Check out our sponsors. They have the good stuff.

Dave :coffee

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Welcome! Glad you joined up. I'd say you did very good at gettin that truck. Hard to find one that low on mileage. Lots of good info on the 7.3's. Intake and Exhaust is what I would do to it. Let her breath in and out. If its got a muffler just wack it off. Big diff. Is yours an early 99 or late 99? There is a diff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58