Brass vs. Biodiesel

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that brass is not compatible with biodiesel and/or wvo?

:dunno :dunno

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Google says!

"In general, the standard storage and handling procedures used for petroleum diesel can be used for biodiesel. The fuel should be stored in a clean, dry, dark environment. Acceptable storage tank materials include aluminum, steel, fluorinated polyethylene, fluorinated polypropylene and teflon. Copper, brass, lead, tin, and zinc should be avoided."

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
Google says!

"In general, the standard storage and handling procedures used for petroleum diesel can be used for biodiesel. The fuel should be stored in a clean, dry, dark environment. Acceptable storage tank materials include aluminum, steel, fluorinated polyethylene, fluorinated polypropylene and teflon. Copper, brass, lead, tin, and zinc should be avoided."

:eek: :eek: :eek: copper!!! :confused:

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: copper!!! :confused:

maybe CPUNeck can give an opinion on this "drawback"? He has a lot of copper in his system. Perhaps he plans on never running bio.

All I've read of problems w/ copper in WVO systems is oxidation/gunk/slime formation.

Clayton?

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
maybe CPUNeck can give an opinion on this "drawback"? He has a lot of copper in his system. Perhaps he plans on never running bio.

All I've read of problems w/ copper in WVO systems is oxidation/gunk/slime formation.

Clayton?

I am going to use 3003-0 alum It is very bendable and conpatable. Aircraft Spruce has it fairly cheep. www.aircraftspruce.com You can also find AN fittings there as well.

If you use 3003 alum, be sure to secure it so it doesn't work back and forth, it could produce cracks if moved too much.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
KansasDiesel said:
I am going to use 3003-0 alum It is very bendable and conpatable. Aircraft Spruce has it fairly cheep. www.aircraftspruce.com You can also find AN fittings there as well.

If you use 3003 alum, be sure to secure it so it doesn't work back and forth, it could produce cracks if moved too much.

yeah, I am using their tubing, got it Monday, it looks fine. Didn't see the fittings on their site.

Was looking to save some $ by getting brass fittings, but it looks like I should get the AN aluminum fittings instead, in case I ever run bio as my start/stop fuel. Where is the AN fittings on the site?

:thanks

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I've added the ASTM spec for bio-diesel to the WIKI. Check it out, it has the reactivity with copper and the like in it.

RazzyB

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ford_Forgotton said:
OK, I've added the ASTM spec for bio-diesel to the WIKI. Check it out, it has the reactivity with copper and the like in it.

what's WIKI?

Craig at Neoteric just cautioned me against using any copper with WVO as well, because of the green slime problem... I guess I'll have to scrap my copper fuel pickup/heat exchanger and fork over the $$ for aluminum stuff. crap :(

Clayton, you out there? Have you seen the green slime?

KansasDiesel

fly'n low on WVO
Reaction score
RazzyB said:
yeah, I am using their tubing, got it Monday, it looks fine. Didn't see the fittings on their site.

Was looking to save some $ by getting brass fittings, but it looks like I should get the AN aluminum fittings instead, in case I ever run bio as my start/stop fuel. Where is the AN fittings on the site?

:thanks

I wasn't looking at thier site, I have thier catalog. But they do carry them, or try Genuine Aircraft Hardware www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com 888-247-2738. All I have are aviation resources, since I am an aircraft mechanic, I can usually find places to get them cheaper then places like Summit.

Need any other resources let me know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg