Break-in Procedure

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can anyone share the "official" breack-in procedure for the new 6.7?

I would like to read it in it's entirety while I wait for mine.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

odalith

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Start truck, drive it like you stole it!

Yeah that's sorta what I thought but then I started thinking about the incinerator and all the stuff I never dreamed anyone would put on a diesel. I can't help but think there's some things to pay close attention to.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Don't drive at a constant speed for long periods of time. Vary the speeds a bit as you drive down the freeway. 500 miles or so should be good for this.

Dave

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The owner's manual and Powerstroke Supplement contradict each other. One says wait 500 miles before towing and the other says 1000 miles.

Avoid constand speeds for first 500 miles. Mine had 800 miles on it and I was pulling hay wagons. A little over 2000 when I pulled my trailer from Buffalo to Seattle. Drive it like your not making payments on it.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I just don't understand their theory, at least from an engine break in aspect. When I break in a (tractor) engine on the dyno, I generally slowly ramp up the power at varying speeds/ loads in 5-10 minute intervals, and after an hour or so am at rated HP. The absolute WORST thing for an engine in break in is idling or operating with light loads. IMO, these trucks just plain aren't working that hard empty driving around. I wouldn't be a bit afraid to hook up a load fresh off the lot and go. Probably not pedal to the metal kind of stuff, but a good moderate load. I understand there are differences between engines used in differing applications, but it's not THAT big of a difference. I don't think they run Semi tractors around bobtail for 500- 1000 miles... kinda makes you wonder what is the exact logic behind Ford's recommendations.
There are literally hundreds of theories/ myths/ tales on engine break in. The best one I got from my engine machinist the other day was a guy that built Detroit engines, I believe. He would get them going and take the intake hose off. Then he took a handful of super fine silica dust, or somthing like that and let it draft up into the intake with it running! :eek: The guy NEVER had a break in problem. I'd like to try that sometime, the expression on the customer's face would be priceless when I told them how I broke in their freshly rebuilt engine. :D

Fine69

Reaction score
I bought a new 2002 Dodge 3500 with a Cummins back in Feb. of 02. I brought it home from the dealer on a Thursday, Friday morning at 6AM I left Pittsburgh for Bike Week in Daytona with a 24' enclosed trailer, and 6 Harleys! That was without a doubt one of the best trucks I ever had! How's that for a Break In?

pubs34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my 2008 6.4 on a wednesday, on friday loaded up and hooked up the boat and drove 200 miles one way going over the mountain pass at 70 plus miles per hour. love the truck and 3 years later ( bought mine in May of 2007 ) still no problems and running great.

ChristineK

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The drive it like you stole it was what I was told from the dealer due to the computer "learns" your driving patterns and will normalize to your habits. That said if you are a mamby pamby your truck will learn to act accordingly.

I am all new to diesel so I have no clue, all my knowledge is in gas powered.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58