Breakout Box ****(pdf article and pics added)****

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The ones I am familar with (computers) it is a box that goes between two items and has test points to monitor the data going between the (for example) printer and the computer. This allows you to look at the various signals and their states.

Dave

Cool Canuck

Having a Hoot
Reaction score
In regards to 7.3 it is a box that goes between the injector harness and the valve cover plug which allows you to shut down one injector at a time. Used to isolate a bad injector.

aim300x

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A break out box is a tool that installs inbetween your ECM and the harness connector, once this box is hooked up in series you can do ford pinpoint voltage tests,check signals,check for shorts etc.. Most ford manuals refer to using breakout boxes and can be a real time saver as it lets you test each wire that goes to ECM without having to lay under a dash or under a hood.The box has numbers 1 thru 54 and you simple hook up your ohm meter and test the number your directed to by the manual,this is why they call it a pinpoint test. Hope this helps.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that Ford had such a useful tool. And I am shocked that they actually use such a beast. :)

Dave

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
I saw one once in Jacksonville at teh dealer. it was covered in dust and the "mechanics" werent sure what it was...... We had training

used em all the time fixin Navy helicopters

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
thats kinda what i thought it was, just wasnt sure... I have heard before that you could make one.... now that i know what it actually is that sounds like it would be a bit of a challenge.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
i will go out on a limb here
but i remember in one of the manuals it shows a schematic for a break out box.
iffin you want to build one....
its only money :D :sly

THE_ALASKAN

Diesel Freak
Reaction score
I had a friend of mine build me one and I use the hell out of it. Just drive down the road and flip 1 switch at a time until the stumble doesn’t change, just like pulling spark plug wires off a gasser, except you wouldn’t get zapped with a breakout box... If anybody would like the write-up I could see if I can find it.
JIM

team_penin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THE_ALASKAN said:
I had a friend of mine build me one and I use the hell out of it. Just drive down the road and flip 1 switch at a time until the stumble doesn’t change, just like pulling spark plug wires off a gasser, except you wouldn’t get zapped with a breakout box... If anybody would like the write-up I could see if I can find it.
JIM
If you can find it I would like to see it! :thumbs

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58