broke a bolt off the diff cover

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I had the "trusty" torque wrench out, set to 960inch/lbs which = 80 ft/lbs and I was bringing them down and on the last one snap... off comes the top. Take the cover back off, can't get it out b/c it's about 1/16th sunken in the housing. It is one on the top driverside and I just filled it with RTV then reapplied the cap, and about 90 min later added the oil. So 3 questions, should I be really concerned, do I need to worry about the oil getting out, and any ideas on how to get the threaded part out of the housing?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Having broken off header bolt heads I've always kept an extractor set on hand which would do the job every time:sweet It leaking in the meantime from the top I'm not sure but if it's got a good bead of RTV it should hold.

Sears Extractor set

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Yup, ditto Bills advice. Get an easy out, drill it and remove it.

Piggy Back
easy out it
probably wnt hurt up top, but then you will always wonder if you dont get it out.

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
I want to make sure everything is 100% and the only way to do that is to remove it and get it out.... and trust me I had a great seal, i'll post up the video's later. I was doing a documentry so people could see how to do it... and pop off comes to top. I'll get and easy out...

Maintain

Platinum Edition
Reaction score
Yeh... I missread the specs, I was on the last one and it was the only one that broke!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58