Broke it

BigDogDaddy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Howdy!
Have a 99 super with a 7.3....
Driving to work it dies, pull to side of the road shut down then restart runs real ruff, but makes it back home...........
Hook up code puller and see cps fault and idm fault, change cps and clear all faults......
Now will no longer start and run on three or four cyl.
Reflashed cpu to stock setting.
Changed relay to the idm (it was cheap) put in a second cps.........nothing.
also checked transfer pump just for fun and changed fuel filter..........
seems electrical to me but just cant see it, checked all wiring to the motor.looks good.

When it turns over it tries to fire a couple of cyl. it has huge amounts of eye watering white smoke out the tail pipe,no fault codes, no ses lights

Need my truck back....

Thanks for any help

Ron

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
something up with the glow plugs making the smoke... sounds like a multiple problem deal...

try the jumper cable on the glow plug relay first... if she pops off with little to no smoke, your problem is the GPR or it's control circuits

that's a trick I learned here... take a jumper cable and go from a positive battery cable to the glow plug side of the GPR for about 30 seconds.

Goliath

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
White smoke would mean too much fuel I think. Try plugging in the block heater for a few hours and see if it starts any easier. That would also eliminate the glow plugs as a problem.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
something up with the glow plugs making the smoke... sounds like a multiple problem deal...

try the jumper cable on the glow plug relay first... if she pops off with little to no smoke, your problem is the GPR or it's control circuits

that's a trick I learned here... take a jumper cable and go from a positive battery cable to the glow plug side of the GPR for about 30 seconds.

What Dickmon sez And.. Believe it or not: What kind of condition are yer batterys in ? Good Strong >equaly< in good condition Batterys Can be Omni important on these trucks.

:dunno

BigDogDaddy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Did plug in the block heater....nothing
Did charge batterys and left charger on them when cranking........nothing
Batterys are 1 year old today (dont ask how I know)

Didnt try jump to glow plugs.........

Think I have a couple things that went when it shut down on the road......

Am goin to head out and try the jump trick if that isnt it it is AAA time........

Sad to I've been working on my own stuff for forty years my buddys at work will never let me hear the end of this........

Thanks for the help!!
Love my diesel we just need to learn how to get along...........

Thanks Ron

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Understanding your diesel is a lot different from gas vehicles that you have owned. Different rules and different outcomes. You will get the hang of it.

Dave :thumbs

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
if several other things have died all at the same time, its quick free to check all of your fuses/+/- 's

BigDogDaddy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yep even pulled all the fuses..............nothing

I repair stuff for a living so I have pretty good troubleshooting skills (I think:) ) but when it acts like a 8500 GVW toaster my guess is that its electrical and with out a service manual Im just shooting in the dark.......

Thanks for the help guys but I had it towed :eek: will post what ever they find.........

Thanks Ron

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Ron
white smoke = moisture
black smoke = fuel
blue smoke = engine oil
grey smoke = Marlboro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics