Broken doohickey

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did my first oil change on the 6.0L PSD. I must say that I really appreciate the way ford has this engine laid out -- I mean this is the easiest oil change I've done since I got rid of my '71 F100. Anyway, on the the broken doohickey...

While doing the oil & filter change, I found this thing was broken off inside the filter cap. (see pic) It appears to be some kind of retainer for the filter core, but I really don't see it having a purpose. Since it was already broke, I just left it out. (The hub of this part is still intact in the center of the lid.)

Should I be concerned about this piece? Does anyone know if I can just buy that piece or do I have to buy a whole new cap? THANKS!!

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
looks like th ebottom of the filter element,
what did the filter element look like?
some aftermarket and a few motorcraft filters had a bit of trouble with the plasitc ends popping off, which equalled a bunch of oill not getting filterd correctly. :eek:

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nah... Filter looked fine. This was on top of the filter. You can't really tell from the pic, but the center hole is rough and matches the little center thingy in the top of the cap. The "little center thingy" is still intact in the cap. It has 4 "fingers" that rotate and mesh with the top of the filter core. I'm guessing that this is some sort of retainer assemply for the core, but I don't know if it's really that important. Any more guesses??

I know you guys have seen this. It would be inside the filter cap if it wasn't broken.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
another guess would be it got left there from a previous oil change ?????

my cap is pretty much like you described, and i dont have a piece like that in there, just a ring to grab the four fingers.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
VinceJE said:
Did my first oil change on the 6.0L PSD. I must say that I really appreciate the way ford has this engine laid out -- I mean this is the easiest oil change I've done since I got rid of my '71 F100. Anyway, on the the broken doohickey...

While doing the oil & filter change, I found this thing was broken off inside the filter cap. (see pic) It appears to be some kind of retainer for the filter core, but I really don't see it having a purpose. Since it was already broke, I just left it out. (The hub of this part is still intact in the center of the lid.)

Should I be concerned about this piece? Does anyone know if I can just buy that piece or do I have to buy a whole new cap? THANKS!!
Thats a part of an old filter. Purolator is famous for this. The center nub can come off and get stuck in the hole on the filter cap. Motorcraft, Wix and Fram are all the same unit. Purolator, STP and others that are 2-3 pieces are crap. Just my .02

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Bingo that is what it is F350DRW1. When I bought my truck I immediately changed the oil and filters on the whole truck. I bought motorcraft everything. When I pulled my oil cap there was two of those in there. Sure enough the old filter was a purolator. The original owner had it changed at a quicky lubed evertime. The lube tech was a moron and left it in there.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, Should the plastic piece that looks kinda like the hub of this thing be removed also? It looks like it belongs inside the cap, but I did no try to remove it. Maybe it would be easier to determine if someone could describe the parts inside the cap (If there should be any at all.)

A picture would be worth a thousand words....

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
VinceJE said:
So, Should the plastic piece that looks kinda like the hub of this thing be removed also? It looks like it belongs inside the cap, but I did no try to remove it. Maybe it would be easier to determine if someone could describe the parts inside the cap (If there should be any at all.)

A picture would be worth a thousand words....
Pull it out. The new filter should "pop' into the housing cap. Then you thread cap on with filter attached to cap. Don't insert filter and then thread on cap.

VinceJE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350DRW1 said:
Pull it out. The new filter should "pop' into the housing cap. Then you thread cap on with filter attached to cap. Don't insert filter and then thread on cap.

That makes perfect sense. Thanks for helping me along in my "diesel for gas dummies" education. :thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14